An eyewitness said when the bridge collapsed, there was a red light at the nearby signal, and that is why the death toll was not more.
Connecting the CSMT's suburban platform No. 1 with the B.T. Lane near The Times of India Building and the Anjuman-e-Islam School, it was used by thousands of daily commuters rushing to catch the local trains on Central Railway and the Harbour Line. "Senior officers are on spot", Mumbai police had tweeted at 7.46 pm. "However, we're extending all our support to the victims. Why was it not closed until the work was completed, it'll also be probed", he said.
Of the critically injured, two persons with severe head injuries have been shifted to the state-run J J Hospital as they require neurosurgery. Traffic affected. Commuters to use alternate routes. "Railway doctors and personnel are cooperating with BMC in relief and rescue operations", said Ministry of Railways. 42 people went missing after a bridge collapse after a British-era bridge was washed away near Mahad on the Mumbai-Goa national highway on 4 August 2016. Fire engines and an ambulance were also at the site. And that "it required minor repairs for which work was underway". "Action will be initiated against the responsible officials".
Tawde meanwhile said an enquiry into the collapse would be conducted by the Railways and the BMC.
Rescue work in progress after a foot overbridge near CSMT station collapsed in south Mumbai Thursday March 14 2019. | PTI
"I have discussed the issue with Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis as well as with CR General Manager D K Sharma, BMC chief Ajoy Mehta and joint police commissioner (L&W) Deven Bharti". Incidentally, the bridge, built in 1971, had also cleared the railway's safety audit just months earlier. "The structural report should be made public", the the Brihanmumbai Corporation (BMC), Mumbai's civic body, said in its Preliminary Report.
According to an official, the FOB was last repaired in 2010-11 and was constructed around 35 years ago.
"During that audit, 354 bridges were checked for their structural soundness".
Zidane set for shock Real Madrid return
Solari was handed a contract until 2021 after overseeing an improvement following the sacking of Julen Lopetegui in November. With the return of Zidane , Real Madrid now have the second most successful coach in their history back at the helm.
- Arsenal 2-0 Manchester United: Three Things We Learned
- Kelly’s Young Girlfriends Defend Him, Blast Their Own Parents
- Weather warning for the Yorkshire coast - here's why and when
- Patriots are trading for Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett
- Giants trade Odell BeckhamJr. to Cleveland Browns in National Football League blockbuster
- Potential for freezing rain Saturday night
- Brendan Rodgers frustrated to lose first game as Leicester City boss
- During time of rapid growth, sorrow for Ethiopian Airlines
- Criminal investigation into Facebook deals with Apple, Amazon, Microsoft
- R. Kelly arrested for unpaid child support after interview denying sex charges