"We have players who can come in, and we can be a better competitive team playing a lot of matches with players with different characteristics, but who have the character to play with the level we want". They should have taken the lead inside five minutes when Nathan Redmond beat the offside trap and cut inside, but his shot was well-blocked by Bernd Leno.
Southampton brought on Charlie Austin in the second half to see if he could maintain his record of scoring against Arsenal every time he has faced them in the league, but the Saints were unable to get back into the game.
His deflected ball found a way through to Mkhitaryan who doubled the lead with an unerring finish.
Olivia Colman wins best actress Oscar
The last time a Brit won the accolade was in 2009, when Kate Winslet won for her portrayal of Hanna Schmitz in The Reader. The 45-year-old actress starred in The Favourite and gave a fan favorite performance in the period-piece comedy.
Two attacking half-time changes from the visitors did little to inspire them back into the game, and Arsenal controlled much of the second 45 minutes like a training match. In this game past year, Arsenal stormed back from 2-0 down to win while, in this season's reverse fixture, they traded blows before Charlie Austin decided matters.
Speaking after the match, Emery admitted that his side were starting to play to his style and even singled out Arsenal's fringe players for adapting quickly during the club's busy fixture schedule.
"We are not looking at the table at the moment because we still have a lot of games to play", the Armenian told the Daily Mail. "For us this win, and the way we played, is a positive", he added.
- Russian Federation 'remains open' for arms talks with US
- Britain 'believes Huawei 5G security risks can be mitigated'
- Jussie Smollett suspended from Empire TV show
- Kim Kardashian Warns Parents of Disturbing 'Momo' Challenge Videos
- Glenn Close’s Dog Pip Was the MVP at the Independent Spirit Awards
- Jeremy Corbyn: Shamima Begun should return to United Kingdom to 'answer questions'
- No breakthrough in Brexit talks over Irish backstop
- GOP Sen. Hawley Demands FBI Answers On 'Disturbing' Trump Probe
- Patriots owner Robert Kraft charged in Florida prostitution sting
- Dan Patrick Show: Nike stock drops after Zion shoe incident