"It was a tough one today, she really didn't give me anything for free", Kvitova said. I'm pleased with my mental focus after losing the first set.
The 21-year-old Swiss, who triumphed in Eastbourne and Toronto in 2015 and reached a career-high seventh in the world in 2016 before injuries stalled her progress, won 85 percent of her first-serve points as she dominated the opening set, but Svitolina turned the tables in the second.
Two-times Wimbledon champion Kvitova is one of the hardest hitters in the women's game, but found herself outwitted by Hsieh in a tense first set and the Czech's frustration showed as she made 12 unforced errors to Hsieh's one in the opener. "It was a tough first set", said Kvitova, a champion in Dubai in 2013. "She had a lot of aces (nine), I'm just happy I was able to make it back".
"I think definitely I served much, much better in Melbourne than here", Kvitova said.
The Ukrainian, who won the last two editions of the Dubai tournament, did not give up without a fight, breaking Bencic early before running away with the second set to force a decider. Yeah, it's been tough since I came from Australia and from St Petersburg.
Patriots owner Robert Kraft charged in Florida prostitution sting
They reported finding that the women at the Orchids of Asia Day Spa were forced to live and work in deplorable conditions. Kraft, widely considered one of the NFL's most powerful and influential owners, has become a hero to may Bostonians.
"I just kept trying to return balls and put the pressure on her". Second seed Kvitova, victor of the event in 2013, left nothing to chance as she crushed Viktoria Kuzmova 6-4, 6-0. She admitted that, due to the distraction of appearing in court at the trial of the person who attacked her two years ago, she had not prepared properly for the tournament.
"Of course they are very high-quality players, all of them", Bencic said.
In the second set Svitolina three breaks and compensated for the two lost games on her serve.
"I'm a bit exhausted right now, to be honest". The Swiss has finally managed to recover her condition after the struggle with her back and the wrist operation. "Hopefully I have a few hours to do something with me".
"I think from 3-5, I just completely zoomed out".
There will be no three-peat for Elina Svitolina in Dubai.
- Trump inclined to extend truce deadline, will meet Xi soon
- Rod Rosenstein, central figure behind Mueller inquiry, expected to step down
- Jussie Smollett suspended from Empire TV show
- Daytona 500: NASCAR Xfinity Series ends in huge 18-car pile-up
- Jeremy Corbyn: Shamima Begun should return to United Kingdom to 'answer questions'
- Tesla Model 3 Delivery in China Starts Earlier Than Expected
- Russian Federation 'remains open' for arms talks with US
- Dan Patrick Show: Nike stock drops after Zion shoe incident
- No breakthrough in Brexit talks over Irish backstop
- Britain 'believes Huawei 5G security risks can be mitigated'