A driver had a lucky escape in south Belfast after a tree fell onto their auto on the Milltown Road, which has been closed by police.
A yellow weather warning is in place for the rest of Ireland but will last only an hour, expiring at 6am on Friday.
The forecaster has issued Status Orange wind warnings for Galway, Mayo and Donegal which will be in effect from 5am tomorrow morning.
Storm Erik will bring strong winds and heavy rain to Edinburgh and the Lothians.. There will be very high seas as well with some coastal flooding.
A yellow weather warning from the Met Office is now in place and will remain so until 6pm this evening.
The strong winds has caused severe travel disruptions in some areas, with train services suspended between Tattenham Corner and Coulsdon Town in Surrey due to fallen tree on the line.
Here's how to update your iPhone to fix Apple's FaceTime privacy bug
Apple has released an iOS and macOS update, which fixes the FaceTime privacy bug that was highlighted last week. The fix is included in the latest version of Apple's iOS 12 system, which became available to install Thursday.
The weather would result in some "quite nasty travelling conditions", said Sarah Kent, a Met Office meteorologist.
"Gusts of between 50mph and 55mph are expected on Saturday but it will stay dry for most of the day".
Forecasting Sunday's weather, Ms Maxey said: "There is the chance of patchy rain and this could be heavy in places".
Winds were expected to hit speeds of up to 70mph. The wind warning along the south coast of England lapses on Friday evening but a wind warning extends over more of England into north Wales during Saturday.
MET Éireann has named its fifth storm of the season ahead of the arrival of Storm Erik on Friday.
- Theresa May Speaks Out In Favour Of Joint World Cup Bid
- President Trump to meet with North Korean leader in Vietnam
- Will Travis Scott Propose to Kylie Jenner at Super Bowl? Fans Wonder
- Unai Emery urges Arsenal to improve away form amid criticism
- Ariana Grande to skip Grammys following disagreement with producers
- Facebook pays teenagers £15 to access all their messages, apps and searches
- Patriots take on the Rams in Super Bowl LIII
- NATO allies 'fully support' USA action on INF treaty
- Mobile, Sprint Merger Looks To Hold Prices For Customers
- Venezuela slams European Union countries for aligning with U.S.