A Senate committee has subpoenaed President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer Michael Cohen, his attorney said Thursday, and Cohen intends to comply with the interview demand related to the Russian Federation investigation.
Jim Jordan says if Cohen does come to testify on Capitol Hill the House will be focused on getting the truth out to the American people.
Michael Cohen will comply with a subpoena to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee, his attorney said Thursday - one day after the former lawyer for President Donald Trump canceled an appearance before a House panel out of fear for his safety, citing threats from the president and Rudy Giuliani.
"This morning the Senate Intelligence Committee served Michael Cohen with a subpoena", Cohen's attorney, Lanny Davis, said in a statement. Trump has denied the allegation.
Trump has attacked Cohen as a liar, and has suggested that investigators look into Cohen's father in law.
"Of course he will honor the subpoena", Davis said on MSNBC when asked if Cohen would testify.
Venezuelan Military Stands by Maduro
On Thursday, Maduro instructed all Venezuelan diplomats in the U.S.to return home and closed his country's embassy in Washington . The infographic below-created by Statista-shows the global split of nations either supporting Maduro or backing Guaido.
Cohen was sentenced late last year to three years in prison after he pleaded guilty to charges related to bank and tax fraud and campaign finance violations.
Davis appeared to reference comments in which Giuliani had claimed Cohen's father-in-law might be tied to organized crime.
House Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings of Maryland and House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff of California both said this week that they expect Cohen to testify before their panels - House Oversight in public and House Intelligence behind closed doors. In November, as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, Cohen pleaded guilty to lying to Congress during that deposition. No House committees has so far issued subpoenas to Cohen.
NBC reported that neither the committee's chairman, Sen.
"Mr. Cohen is someone who lied to the committee; that got him into this whole legal jeopardy to start with", said Senator Mark Warner, the senior Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
Davis wouldn't say whether February 12 had been penciled for the testimony.
- Extreme cold warning in effect for North Bay, northeast
- France fines Google $57 million for breaking Europe's strict new privacy rules
- Now No. 1, Osaka wins majors to strains of Jay Rock's 'Win'
- Netflix shares dip as Q4 revenue misses estimates
- Kansas City Chiefs scheduled to play in Mexico City again
- Onnoghen: US, UK Raise Alarm over Buhari's Suspension of CJN
- Raptors forward Kawhi Leonard among starters; LeBron James, Giannis Antetokounmpo named captains
- Taiwan says it won't bow to pressure amid China tension
- Oscars 2019: Biggest Snubs and Surprises From This Year's Nominees List
- Who blinks first will matter in Trump, Democrats’ wall fight