The service said in a press release that an American national, Paul Whelan, was detained as part of a special operation. A criminal case has been opened against him. "Journalists in Moscow are saying that this could be a message that Putin is sending President Trump for the New Year, that Russian Federation will be confrontational if needed". Russia's domestic security service has arrested an American on suspicion of espionage.
The U.S. State Department said it was "aware of the detention of a U.S. citizen by Russian authorities" and had received formal notification from the Russian Foreign Ministry.
No other details were immediately available and the United States embassy in Moscow has so far not commented.
Trump again threatens to close southern U.S. border over wall funding
Mulvaney said the Democrats rejected the White House's counteroffer of "a number less than $5 billion", which is what Trump wants for the wall.
Under Russian law, convictions in spying cases can carry prison terms of up to 20 years.
United States intelligence services have accused Moscow of interfering in the 2016 presidential election and earlier this month convicted Russian Maria Butina of acting as an illegal foreign agent. Butina said in court that she'd been operating as a Kremlin agent as she befriended National Rifle Association leaders and influential US conservatives.
The latest round of sanctions "in response to Russia's continued disregard for global norms", which includes Moscow's suspected interference in the 2016 USA election, were announced earlier this month.
- Perkins, Zaccheaus lead Virginia over SC 28-0
- China Releases Canadian Teacher Detained for Job Violation
- Firmino hat-trick takes Liverpool nine points clear with Arsenal thrashing
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. Tears Into Redskins For Releasing D.J. Swearinger
- Pelosi, During Government Shutdown, Is Vacationing at Hawaii Resort
- In a first, Trump makes surprise visit to USA troops in Iraq
- Mexico wall: Trump aide says concrete wall idea was dropped early on
- Hodgson hails "magnificent" Townsend goal, says Palace win not about "magic wand"
- Erdogan will 'eradicate' remnant IS in Syria, claims Trump
- Court: Justice Ginsburg up and working after surgery