Twitter user Jeffree Star lamented "this #instagramupdate nearly ruined my morning!" while journalist Alex Heath of the online service Cheddar remarked that it "seems maybe meant to reduce mindless vertical scrolling?"
Some users were reporting that shortly after they got the new feed, their app reverted back to the original vertical-scroll feed.
As of now, Instagram has not made any statements on today's developments. "Introducing a new way to move through posts", a pop-up message introducing the new feature reads. "If you're still seeing it simply restart the app", said Mosseri on Twitter.
Instagram has apologised after a test feature was accidentally rolled out to millions of people using its app.
"Treble Incoming!", "Terrible" - Some Man Utd Fans React To Solskjaer Appointment
In a statement released on Wednesday, MUST say the club needs to "put football expertise in charge of football decisions". Now sixth in the Premier League table and 11 points adrift of the top four, he's got plenty of work to do.
Given the extremely negative response that the updated received from its users, Instagram may think twice about releasing the update to the public.
The app's development team must have heard us all, because they've reportedly changed the app back to its old format already! We apologize for any confusion'. "Tap through posts, just like you tap through stories".
Instagram has not responded to HuffPost's request for further comment on the update mishap.
What did you think of Instagram's temporary scrolling update?
Journalist and media commentator Owen Jones posted a meme of a person with a flamethrower, alongside the caption: "Here's how I'm dealing with the new Instagram feed".
Users awoke to a very different Instagram look on Thursday morning - and they were not happy.
- Donald Trump 'Prepared for a Very Long Shutdown'
- Fiancé of missing woman arrested for her murder
- Border official announces changes after 2 children die in US custody
- What Ruth Bader Ginsburg's lung surgery means
- Jose Mourinho blames Rio Ferdinand and Paul Scholes for his sacking
- Democrats hold firm on shutdown as Trump refuses to take blame
- On visit to Iraq, President Trump defends withdrawal from Syria
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. Tears Into Redskins For Releasing D.J. Swearinger
- Recession-Proof Your Portfolio: eBay Inc. (EBAY), Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (WBA)
- Justice Department indicts two Chinese nationals over global hacking campaign