According to the doctors who treated the woman, the non-sterile water that she used it thought to have contained Balamuthia mandrillaris, an amoeba that over the course of weeks to months can cause a very rare and nearly always fatal infection in the brain.
"There have been 34 reported infections in the U.S.in the 10 years from 2008 to 2017, despite millions of recreational water exposures each year", according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
She contracted an amoeba called Balamuthia mandrillaris. "I think she was using (tap) water that had been through a water filter and had been doing that for about a year previously".
"If you do use a neti pot, for instance, you should be very aware that it has to be absolute sterile water or sterile saline", said Dr. Cobbs.
The woman, doctors realized, had been infected with Balamuthia mandrillaris, a type of amoeba that can infect the brain and cause massive damage.
Unlike N. fowleri, B. mandrillaris is much more hard to detect, according to the report.
The 69-year-old Seattle resident died in February after undergoing brain surgery at Swedish Medical Center.
"Then, about one year after the initial development of the nasal rash, the patient was seen at an outside hospital due to a left upper extremity focal seizure".
G20 Summit Opens In Argentina Amid Ukraine Crisis
Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman met briefly with US President Donald Trump at the G20 summit in Argentina . The pair discussed trade, co-operation in the Pacific, and the security situations in Iran and North Korea.
As in the Seattle woman's case, the infections are "almost uniformly fatal", with a death rate of more than 89%, according to the doctors who treated her and the CDC.
The amoeba was discovered in 1986.
People can't be infected by simply swallowing water contaminated with amoebas.
The amoeba is similar to Naegleria fowleri, which has been the culprit in several high-profile cases.
After contracting the amoebas, the woman developed a red sore on her nose.
However, using tap water with a neti pot isn't safe, according to the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
The woman's infection is the second ever reported in Seattle - the first came in 2013 - but the first fatality to be caused by it. "Repeat CT imaging demonstrated further hemorrhage into the original resection cavity. There's been about 200 cases world-wide", Cobbs said, according to Q13 News. "At this point, the family made a decision to withdraw support", the report continued.
Dr Cobbs continued: 'It's extremely important to use sterile saline or sterile water.
- First Pictures of Planet Mars Emerge From NASA's Lander Mission
- Kate reveals Prince Louis has hit an adorable new milestone
- China summons Canada envoy over detention of Huawei exec Meng Wanzhou
- Mark Fitzpatrick: Iran missile test not a 'violation' of UNSCR 2231
- Comey set for closed-door interview with House Republicans
- May faces contempt of parliament threat from Labour as Brexit advice leaks
- Trump Nominates Army Chief Milley to Replace Joint Chiefs Chairman Dunford
- Kid Rock out of Christmas parade after comments
- G20 Summit: May 'encourages' Saudi Arabia to co-operate in murder investigation
- Trump to meet Erdoğan at G20 summit in Argentina