The skipper's opener was a moment of inspiration in the penalty box, weaving away from multiple markers to manufacture space for a predatory finish past Jeroen Zoet, making it a record 106 Champions League goals for the Argentina forward.
Atletico Madrid extended their advantage at the top of Group A with a 2-0 win over already-eliminated Monaco.
But Barcelona will have to raise its game if it is to win back the Champions League trophy that was won by archrival Real Madrid for the last three seasons.
The home side's nimble first half finishing saw them home with goals from Juan Bernat and Neymar, while James Milner's 45th-minute effort could not disguise another poor away performance by Jurgen Klopp's side.
The Barca head coach said: 'We're so happy to have mathematically topped the group. "There are a lot of teams now that try to put us under pressure".
Manchester United v Young Boys
And their boss Hodgson says that Lindelof showed great desire to play through injury at the end. I want them to start strong and go for it nearly immediately".
Harry Winks hit the frame of the goal as Spurs pushed for the win they needed and substitute Christian Eriksen duly provided it 10 minutes from time when he fired home from close range. "PSV began to believe they had a chance and play long balls, but in the end we got the result we came here for".
PSV are off to a flawless start in the Eredivisie and are gaining consideration as one of the great Eredivisie teams in history.
Another thing is that MESSI has now scored 66 goals in the group stages of the Champions League in 66 matches.
PSV had a lifeline in the 83rd minute, however, when De Jong headed an Angelino cross into the bottom corner to continue his excellent run of form.
- Man shoots woman to death in Ocala Walmart, still at large
- First Pictures of Planet Mars Emerge From NASA's Lander Mission
- GM to slash jobs and production as USA sedan sales sink
- Finnish president confirms forestry chat with Donald Trump
- Facebook executive grilled by MPs after Parliament seizes data scandal documents
- Trump asks for transgender military ban from Supreme Court in rare move
- Don't eat romaine lettuce: Health Canada
- 'Jarryd has issues to deal with': Greenberg steers clear of Hayne charge
- Kareena calls Sara Ali Khan a "born star" ahead of debut film
- President Donald Trump Tweetstorm - The Sunday Edition