With United able to qualify for the knockout rounds tomorrow if they beat Young Boys and Juventus don't lose to Valencia, Mourinho wants his players to go all-out for victory and treat the game as a knockout match.
'It's unfair to harp back to old times with the new regimes but it needs good passing and positive play - it's the total opposite to what we're seeing with the current team and it's very much with the identity of this team. You or the fans probably think Jose told [the players] to start slow and nice and easy, or to wait to react.
"I would say if we have him for the Christmas period - where we need, if possible, every player to be available for that hard period until the Newcastle match on January 2 - if we can have Victor available for that period, it will be good".
When asked if the criticism from Mourinho has helped him, Shaw said: "Yes, of course.
I want the team to start strong to have a go immediately and it's a bit frustrating". I want to play this game like a knockout game, like we have to win.
It was Fellaini and a quite sensational celebration from Mourinho that would steal that show in the end though as they somehow managed to win a game that appeared to be heading towards a goalless draw.
'Man United are not far off City'
City are also top of their Champions League group with just two matchdays remaining. "I don't think [we're far away]", he told Sky Sports .
Jose Mourinho's men had been awful for much of the match before a long ball was pumped up to Romelu Lukaku, who flicked the ball onto Marouane Fellaini and the United midfielder appeared to control the ball with his hand before driving the ball into the Young Boys net.
Manchester United defender Luke Shaw says he has enjoyed reacting to Jose Mourinho's criticism.
Matteo Darmian, who started against Palace, was also missing from Monday's training, along with Marcos Rojo. They've been late for both of their UCL clashes against Valencia and Juventus at Old Trafford this season (due to bad traffic in Manchester) and were fined by UEFA.
"We decide to change hotel so we are not coming from Manchester city centre, we are going to stay in hotel just a few metres away", said Mourinho. I don't feel pressure to play at home.
"If you feel pressure stay at home and when I say "home" I don't say stadium home, I say stay home and watch on TV", he said.
- Check Out John Williams' New Score For Disney's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- President rakes over causes of fire in California
- President Donald Trump Tweetstorm - The Sunday Edition
- Washington Redskins signing Mark Sanchez after losing Alex Smith
- Don't eat romaine lettuce: Health Canada
- Residential neighborhoods of Aleppo fired chemical weapons, more than 100 injured
- Netanyahu says ‘unnecessary and wrong’ to call snap Israeli polls
- It's upsettingly easy to bend the new iPad Pro
- Trump ordered to allow CNN journalist back
- 'Jarryd has issues to deal with': Greenberg steers clear of Hayne charge