Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith appeared to suffer a severe injury in Sunday's game against the Houston Texans, forcing him to be carted off the field with a cast on his right foot. J.J. Watt and Kareem Jackson sacked Smith, but he went down awkwardly on his ankle.
It's their first season since the 2011 campaign where they don't have Kirk Cousins in the Quarterback role, but they acquired Alex Smith to replace him.
Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Smith would have surgery "right away".
Smith, 34, signed a four-year, $94 million deal (including $71 million in guarantees) in the offseason and his contract is such that the Redskins cannot easily get out from under it without taking a huge salary-cap hit, at least until after the 2020 season.
A week after Redskins cornerback Josh Norman criticized fans for not having players' backs at home and said the team plays better on the road, FedEx Field had plenty of good seats still available.
Latest Colorado Weather Forecast: Two Storms Heading For Colorado
Snow squalls are now moving across New York State and will enter the Berkshires around mid-afternoon. I don't expect roads to become a problem in most areas as temperatures will be marginally cold.
Reid's 101-yard interception return touchdown was the big play Houston needed to overcome a mistake-prone Deshaun Watson and beat the Washington Redskins 23-21 on Sunday, tying the franchise record with their seventh consecutive victory. "I worry less about Alex and his football career than I do Alex and wanting to be able to do the things in life he wants to do".
Saints quarterback Drew Brees completed 22 of 30 passes for 363 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions as the Saints won their ninth straight game and improved to 9-1.
The Redskins have lost their starting quarterback for the rest of the season.
"I'm still just so upset", Theismann said.
Redskins legend Joe Theismann soon weighed in - posting on Twitter that Smith's injury was reminiscent of his own in 1985. "I feel so bad for him".
- Thousands of animals rescued from California wildfires
- Trump ordered to allow CNN journalist back
- The John Lewis Christmas advert 2018 has finally arrived - see it here!
- Bobbitt, couple charged in homeless GoFundMe case
- Spice Girls add 2 shows as ticket demand skyrockets
- President rakes over causes of fire in California
- Armie Hammer called out celebrities for posting pics with Stan Lee
- Netanyahu says ‘unnecessary and wrong’ to call snap Israeli polls
- Federer routs Thiem to keep chances alive at ATP Finals
- Protectionism 'doomed to failure', Xi Jinping says in swipe at US