Further, Section 4B of the DSPE Act specifies a two-year tenure for the CBI director, and also notes that a CBI director can not be transferred without the prior consent of the appointing committee.
- Section 4A and 4B provides for a High powered committee of the Prime Minister, the Leader of Opposition and the Chief Justice of India for the objective of appointment/transfer of CBI Director.
The decision came following a bitter battle being fought between Verma and CBI's special director Rakesh Asthana. An FIR was registered against Asthana - said to be close to multiple officials at the PMO - by the CBI in a bribery and corruption case a week ago, followed by Asthana's complaint to the CVC in which he alleged that Verma was interfering and impeding his probe in different cases. Many of these concerned very sensitive cases including those monitored by the Supreme Court, the petition states. Notably, Verma is a former police commissioner of Delhi.
Odisha cadre IPS officer M Nageshwar Rao took charge as the interim chief of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) today. They were apprehended after Verma's Personal Security Officers (PSOs) raised alarm and caught them outside the residence on Janpath road. The impugned orders were passed on the night following the day when Asthana approached the Delhi HC against the FIR and obtained interim protection from arrest until October 29.
Twitter airs election meddling data
The data release includes the content of tweets from these accounts, which provides a richer look at how these accounts operated. Twitter added that the goal of the release was to make the data available for researchers and academics for investigation.
The CVC conveyed its views to the central government, following which the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) met and chose to cordon off the CBI's headquarters in New Delhi around 1 am. This was decided after he made a decision to take the CBI to court challenging the corruption case filed against him.
Opposition leaders have accused the Modi government of using the CBI as a tool to settle scores with his political opponents. "The grave allegations of corruption by senior functionaries of CBI one against another, also widely reported in the media, have vitiated the official environment...the order is passed keeping in view the extraordinary and emergent situation which has arisen", the order said.
- The Supreme Court has stated repeatedly that the CBI ought to be insulated from the government.
Asthana was heading the SIT that was probing Qureshi's case.
- Still No Winner Of Mega Millions’ Billion Dollar Jackpot
- Liberals lose blue ribbon seat as voters send message to Canberra
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed
- Amid int’l pressure, Turkey to search Saudi consulate
- U.S. Must ‘Push Harder for the Truth’ About Journalist Jamal Khashoggi
- Turkish official: Police found evidence of Khashoggi slaying
- David Luiz: 'Chelsea's spirit against Manchester United was amazing'
- Floresville resident claims $5 million Mega Millions prize
- Key moments surrounding the killing of Jamal Khashoggi
- People's Vote march: Eastbourne councillor joins 700000 in London Brexit protest