But Golovkin was never able to press home his advantage, and each time Alvarez was able to evade the looming danger to slide away and respond with blows of his own.
The build-up to the contest had featured accusations by the fighter from Kazakhstan that Alvarez was covered in injection marks during their first fight, which took place at the same T-Mobile Arena venue. FightNights.com scored it 115-113 for Golovkin.
A year after their first fight ended in a controversial draw, Alvares clinched a points decision that again divided experts in what many thought could have gone the other way.
He took control with a dominant spell in the middle rounds before holding off Golovkin down the stretch to claim a 114-114, 115-113, 115-113 win. Criticized and chastised for his approach in the initial meeting last September, Alvarez looked like a different fighter this time around; in truth, he looked more like himself. Things picked up after as Canelo let his hands go off the counters in round two, Golovkin stalked behind the jab.
Bob Woodward’s Book Reveals Startling Details About Trump’s Presidency: ‘We’re in Crazytown’
At one point Mr Kelly, the chief of staff, reportedly said of Mr Trump during a staff meeting: "He's an idiot". Woodward goes through a lengthy list of enemies that Trump's continued to make within his own administration.
"If the people want another round, I'll do it again", added the 28-year-old, who improves to 50-1-2.
Alvarez's six-month ban after testing positive for clenbuterol - he claimed the positive test came from eating contaminated meat - scuppered the first prospective rematch date earlier this year. (When asked about a third fight) Under the right conditions, yes. Canelo's trainer, Eddy Reynoso, opted to change their strategy, using his fighter's youth and boxing skills to turn the fight in their favor.
But they nearly came to blows on the stage when they posed for their first head-to-head photograph of fight week.
Instead Alvarez slow-played negotiations, faced Golovkin when he was ready, scoring a draw and now a majority decision - the only two blemishes on Golovkin's record (38-1-1).
"I'm very emotional. That's what I did". Moretti and Weisfeld each gave the 12th to Alvarez and that gave him the fight. He was the one who was backing up.
- Teenager dead as gas line explosions spark dozens of fires in Boston
- Papadopoulos Sentenced To 14 Days In Prison
- How the Umpire's Male Ego Ruined the US Open Women's Final
- Alex Jones squares off with Marco Rubio during press conference
- Google Pixel 3 XL supposedly photographed after being left in a taxi
- SpaceX announces new plan to send tourist around Moon
- Hurricane Florence lashes US with rain and wind - Ireland
- Verdict: England given immediate perspective on where they stand by Spain’s display
- Hurricane Florence by the (frightening) numbers
- Mac Miller's Mom Posts Sentimental Photo Remembering Her Son