A televised speech by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro at a military ceremony was abruptly cut short on Saturday after explosions were reportedly heard nearby.
"This is an attack against President Nicolas Maduro", Communication Minister Jorge Rodriguez said following the incident that was caught during a live broadcast.
As Maduro spoke of Venezuela's economy, the audio suddenly went off, and he and others on the podium suddenly looked up, startled.
Several military personnel who were lined up on Avenue Bolivar during the speech were seen looking up then breaking rank and running.
Venezuela's global government broadcaster, TeleSUR, said on Twitter that the Venezuelan government confirmed an attempted attack on Maduro.
Venezuelan blogger Larissa Costas has tweeted that Maduro is "well".
After the explosions, the Caracas fire service said there was a building on fire in central Caracas.
Smoking ban in, near public housing goes into effect Tuesday
HUD notes that people "do not have to quit smoking " to live in government housing, but need to follow the new ban. ALS says they are working with public housing authorities to help make the transition to a smoke-free environment.
Security members protect Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro after his speech was interrupted in Caracas, Venezuela, on August 4, 2018.
The minister said seven people were injured and are being treated for unspecified injuries at hospitals.
GettyPresident Nicholas Maduro pictured prior to make his address.
Images being shared on social media showed officers surrounding Maduro with what appeared to be a black bullet-proof barrier as they escorted him from the site. The transmission was cut without explanation.
In the statement to el Nuevo, the group claiming responsibility said the military's goals were not achieved.
Several firefighters at the scene are disputing the government's version of events.
This report was supplemented with material from The Associated Press.
- Demi Lovato Hospitalized Following Heroin Overdose
- FDA Warns that ‘Vaginal Rejuvenation’ Is a Painful Laser Treatment
- Facebook discovers coordinated political influence campaign ahead of midterm elections
- Cohen Tapes Erase Attorney-Client Privilege, 'Indication of a Fraud'
- Meghan Markle TOTALLY Approves Of Nick Jonas & BFF Priyanka Chopra's Engagement!
- Hijacking not ruled out over disappearance of missing flight MH370
- Trump Threatens to Shut Down Government if Democrats Don't Back Immigration Policies
- Are Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas already engaged?
- Emery respects Ozil's Germany choice, says Arsenal is his 'home'
- China hits back at U.S. with $60bn tariff threat