I think we shouldn't think that any other club in the Premier League has better players because at least we have as good as the opponents.
Shaw will have a tough job on his hands to regain the number one left-back spot after the form of Ashley Young both last season and during England's run to Semi-Finals at this summer's World Cup.
"The captain was Valencia last season, and I think he's going to be the captain", Mourinho said, following the 1-1 draw against Club America in Arizona.
"And when he doesn't play we have to make decisions".
Missing star talents Paul Pogba and Alexis Sanchez, the opening match of a pre-season USA tour looked like it might end in defeat for the Reds in Arizona until Juan Mata volleyed to equalise in the 78th minute.
Emery respects Ozil's Germany choice, says Arsenal is his 'home'
Ozil also blamed the German Football Federation (DFB) for failing to defend him against his most strident critics. Ozil won't play against Atletico but could feature against PSG on Saturday.
Eric Bailly headed against the bar from Alexis Sanchez's free-kick early on as United huffed and puffed without a cutting edge. "It was a team with intensity and a team with quality that pushed us to levels that we are not prepared for".
"I would like to be in Los Angeles now and I am in San Jose, you cannot do whatever you want in life", Mourinho explained as he rolled out the "can't always get what you want" argument for the second time.
The 29-year-old, who has been working alone at Carrington for four days, will train with his teammates at UCLA on Saturday and, Mourinho has said he will play against San Jose Earthquakes in Santa Clara 24 hours later.
Sky Sports News understands Martial is part of United's plans for the forthcoming season, despite his agent telling French media in July that he wants to leave. "We don't have a team to play much better than we did but [it's] one more training session".
"Andreas is playing okay". However, the Ecuadorean suffered a suspected calf injury in the first seven minutes of play. In the first match, he was okay and today too. The club does want to keep Martial with Ed Woodward interested in activating the one-year extension in his current contract but Mourinho doesn't want to keep a disinterested player.
- US Commander: Lack of Trust Between US, North Korea Challenges Progress
- North Korea only returned one dog tag to identify war remains
- Timothy Fosu-Mensah, International Champions Cup, Jose Mourinho
- Facebook creates new China subsidiary despite ban and censorship
- Hijacking not ruled out over disappearance of missing flight MH370
- Demi Lovato Hospitalized Following Heroin Overdose
- Meghan Markle TOTALLY Approves Of Nick Jonas & BFF Priyanka Chopra's Engagement!
- Ex-head of CIA: Trump should disclose details of conversation with Putin
- Toronto benefit concert with Demi Lovato cancelled after hospitalization
- British Open at a glance