"I told [Trump] that I was looking for a nominee that would demonstrate a respect for precedent, a long-standing and vital tenet of our judicial system", Collins said Sunday on ABC.
Collins, a moderate Republican, claimed Roe v. Wade is "settled law" and emphasized her desire for the new Supreme Court justice to adhere to stare decisis, a legal doctrine that binds courts to precedent.
Collins said Sunday she hopes Trump will look beyond his current list of potential nominees, noting there are nominees on the current list for whom she would not vote.
"You never know how that's going to turn out", Trump said.
But the Republicans are in the driving seat on the decision, with a majority grip on the Senate, the body that confirms the judge, as well as their person in the White House.
Can CR7 lead Portugal to last 16?
If it loses to Sweden , Mexico still advances if Germany loses to South Korea , or wins but with a smaller goal differential. What's the likelihood? Argentina are 48 per cent, Nigeria 45 per cent and Iceland 7 per cent to make the next stage.
"As president I mean obviously outside of war and peace - the biggest decision you can make is the selection of a Supreme Court justice", Trump said.
Collins said her office does research and has discussions on a nominee's record, and she won't vote for someone with an activist record. "And that'll happen automatically, in my opinion, because I am putting pro-life justices on the court".
Still, Trump did not rule out the idea that his eventual pick could be instrumental in a future ruling that either reverses or guts Roe v. Wade, leaving it up to states whether to allow abortion.
When asked on "State of the Union" whether she thought Justice Gorsuch would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, Collins said no, adding that she believes Gorsuch, the co-author of a book on precedent, understands that precedent is essential to the US judicial system. "And I ask probing questions to try to determine whether they are going to be an activist judge with an agenda, which I don't want on either the left or the right", the senator added.
Follow the Bangor Daily News on Facebook for the latest ME news.
- Cousins to join Warriors for one year, $5.3 million
- Harley to shift some production overseas, Walker pushes for ending all tariffs
- Donald Trump & Immigrant Child Featured On Time Magazine's Latest Cover
- Brazil vs Costa Rica
- Melania Trump's 'I Really Don't Care' Jacket Sparks Controversy on Border Visit
- Under Trump, ICE is despised and divided
- England vs Colombia biggest game for a decade Gareth Southgate
- United States prepares for return of war dead remains from North Korea
- The 15 biggest ways your iPhone will change in iOS 12
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Puts Yorktown Heights on the Map