Notably, the decision came after a meeting with Kim Kardashian, who has always been an advocate for the incarcerated 63-year-old.
Johnson had served 21 years of her life sentence after she was convicted on multiple criminal counts related to cocaine possession in 1996.
She was sentenced to life in prison in 1997, and appellate judges and the U.S. Supreme Court have rejected her appeals.
Jared Kushner, the president's son-in-law and senior adviser, had helped arrange the meeting with Kardashian in the Oval Office last week and had pushed for leniency for Johnson within the West Wing, according to administration officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.
He later retweeted Kardashian when she expressed her hope that the president would grant Johnson clemency.
"She said, 'You can go home, you can go home now.' When I heard the word 'home, ' I started screaming and jumping and crying", Johnson said.
French Open 2018: Rafa Nadal marches past Maximilian Marterer and into quarterfinals
Nadal's last win after losing the opening set came against Novak Djokovic in the 2014 final. When they return to the stadium, Nadal will be serving at 5-3, 30-15 in the second set.
Kardashian West welcomed Trump's action on Twitter, writing: "BEST NEWS EVER!". "Good luck to Alice Johnson", he wrote. Now, her own daughter is seven months pregnant, and she can't wait to meet her grandmother, she said. "It was wonderful. I'm so glad that she was the one who was able to deliver the news to me".
"I told Alice, 'I'm never going to give up".
Alice Johnson was released from federal prison hours after Mr. Trump's order, with footage showing her running toward her family, throwing her arms open wide and embracing them in front of a crowd.
Her co-defendants who testified against her at the time received sentences ranging from probation to 10 years, while Johnson received life with parole plus 25 years.
"I hope to continue this important work by working together with organizations who have been fighting this fight for much longer than I have and deserve the recognition", Kardashian West added.
"I keep touching her to make sure she is real".
Johnson's case caught nationwide attention after the reality-television star Kim Kardashian West took notice of her case a year ago and retained an attorney to help her clemency bid.
- I'm not done yet! - Durant display not his 'defining moment'
- Napoli will demand Maurizio Sarri compensation despite release clause expiring
- Celtic centre-back Dedryck Boyata makes World Cup squad
- Manchester City In Advanced Talks With Midfield Star
- Kate Spade reportedly found dead
- Prosecutors interview Comey as they consider whether to charge McCabe
- Tesla Shareholders Meeting Almost Saw Elon Musk Stripped of Chairman Title
- China reserves right to retaliate for U.S. investment curbs
- Sofia Richie Moved out of Scott Disick's House Amid Cheating Scandal
- Bill Browder, Putin critic, tweets his arrest on "Russian" warrant