Hermond and his friends went to help, and that's when, they said, he was pulled under and didn't resurface, Gardner added.
This initial progress was clouded by the discovery of a Severn, Maryland, man who had gone missing Sunday while trying to help a woman stranded amid rising waters.
The Patapsco River, which runs through Ellicott City, swelled to a record high level as storms brought heavy rainfall before the latest flash flood. Thunderstorms are in the D.C. -area forecast from Wednesday through Saturday, and Kittleman said officials are looking out for potential trouble spots around the area. He said others made it out of the area safely.
Kittleman said the other priority is to assess the condition of buildings, which contain shops, restaurants and homes.
The main ruptured about 2 miles from downtown Ellicott City.
Videos posted to social media show the city's Main Street - the same street devastated by flash flooding in July 2016 - inundated with severe floods as water rushed through the area.
American Idol Season 16 Just Announced Its Big Winner
Caleb told Michael Strahan that once he saw her during Hollywood week in January, he instantly knew he was into her. Hutchinson and Poppe sang a their rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World".
Residents and business owners, Kittleman said, "are faced with the same daunting task again".
Hogan promised "every bit of assistance we possibly can". As of Monday afternoon, the National Weather Service had extended a flood warning in northwestern Anne Arundel County and southeastern Howard County Maryland until 5 p.m. Monday.
"We'll see. It takes a lot of money and a lot of time, a lot of energy". On Sunday the city saw 8 inches over six hours, with most of the rain falling during a three hour window.
Floodwaters have receded, revealing mud, crumpled cars and splintered building facades in Ellicott City's quaint historic district.
A massive flood has wreaked havoc in Maryland where businesses and residents had just managed to get back on their feet after a devastating flood less than two years ago.
Destroyed chunks of roadway rest after being washed into a riverbed in flood-ravaged Ellicott City, Maryland.
- President Trump's demand for investigation may lead to 'constitutional crisis'
- YouTube Music: Google's new, free Spotify rival
- Moon, Trump vow continued effort to ensure successful US-NK summit
- Ivanka Trump Slams Serena Williams Seeding Snub At Roland Garros
- FDA Approves First Nonopioid Treatment for Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Profit before tax at Marks and Spencer plummets 62.1%
- Tropical Storm Warnings are up along Gulf Coast ahead of Alberto
- Real Madrid v Liverpool: Michael Owen’s Champions League final prediction
- 'Solo' sputters in takeoff at box office with $83.3M
- Congressional leaders get briefings on Russian Federation probe