Kolkata: The results of West Bengal panchayat elections will be declared on Thursday. The TMC has termed the allegations "baseless". In Birbhum too, exit polls have predicted a clean sweep for TMC in 19 panchayat samiti seats.
Aggrieved by the violence that marked yesterday's panchayat polls in West Bengal, several candidates who were in the fray met State Election Commission (SEC) officials and demanded repolling in their booths. The re-polling on Wednesday saw a 68 per cent turnout. The area had witnessed the killing of a person and arrest of a TMC leader on the direction of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee ahead of the poll.
When will the counting of votes start?
The voting took place for 621 zilla parishads, over six thousand panchayat samitis, and almost 31 thousand gram panchayats.
The state Congress unit is also likely to file a contempt petition against state election commissioner, director general of police and additional director general of police.
# According to SEC, of the 48,650 seats in 3,358 gram panchayats, 16,814 were uncontested and of the 9,217 seats in 341 panchayat samitis, 3,059 were uncontested.
He said the administration was in the process of ensuring tight security for Wednesday's re-polling between 7am and 5pm.
Britain condemns Iran attack on Israel
On Thursday, the White House condemned Iran's rocket attacks but failed to mention Israel's strikes on military targets in Syria. Iran does not want "new tensions" in the Middle East, President Hassan Rouhani told German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday.
Incidents of violence, including arson and threats, were reported from across the state on Monday as 20 districts of West Bengal voted for the panchayat polls.
Declaring re-polls in 573 booths was not easy for the commission as the state government did not want to give its nod to such a large number.
Unidentified miscreants escape with a ballot box from polling booth no. 76 in Malda's Ratua, also brandish a gun.
The booths, where re-polling is taking place, include 63 in Murshidabad, 52 in Coochbehar, 28 in West Midnapore and 10 in Hooghly among others.
Voters queue up outside booth no. 117 in Bagdah, North 24 Parganas district. Jhargram is the only district where no re-polling took place. The charred bodies of two CPI (M) candidates, Debu Das and Uma Das, were recovered from their house in South 24 Parganas.
What happened in the 2013 panchayat elections?
- Snapchat rolls out redesigned app to 'majority' of iOS users
- Rage 2 launches in Spring 2019, id Software and Avalanche Studios collaborating
- Exit polls give BJP clear edge over Congress in Karnataka
- Varanasi flyover collapse: Death toll rises to 16
- Pakistan imposes restrictions on movement of United States diplomats
- Maharashtra: Police deployed in violence-affected area of Aurangabad; Sec 144 imposed
- England Include Danny Cipriani In 34-Man South Africa Tour Squad
- LeBron James Told the Raptors How to Run Plays During Game
- Georgia Police Officer Suspended After Screaming Obscenity At Woman
- White House refuses comment about Sadler's McCain remark