The clashes came against a backdrop of union discontent with the president, Emmanuel Macron, over his plans to stimulate France's economy and spur jobs growth by.
Shouting "Rise up, Paris", "Everyone hates the police", and "Macron puts us in a black rage" the protesters, apparently from the far-left Black bloc movement, hurled stones, molotov cocktails and other projectiles at security forces who responded with teargas and water cannon.
A group of masked anarchists dressed mostly in black clothing hijacked a May Day rally in Paris on Tuesday, torching a vehicle, a McDonald's, looting stores, and throwing cobble stones at riot police, according to Reuters.
After trying to hold up the march a group of protesters ran amok along the route, destroying a McDonald's restaurant near Austerlitz station, east of the city centre, and setting it ablaze.
Government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux criticised the protesters for covering up their faces. "Those who wear hoods are the enemies of democracy".
Klay Thompson drains four threes in Warriors' Game 1 win
Kerr called it "very likely" the two-time MVP would play in Game 2 of the best-of-seven series Tuesday night at Oracle Arena. The Golden State Warriors look locked in right now. "He just said he feels great and he's ready to go", Kerr said.
They chanted anti-fascist slogans and waved anti-government banners.
The minister further explained that "We know it (about Black Blocs gathering), but we cannot arrest people who come in civilian clothes and then suddenly they got dressed in black and infiltrated in the crowd".
This video shared by eyewitness Conny Myhrberg shows protesters fleeing from police along Rue Lacépède in Paris. "When you come with Molotov cocktails, it's to burn cops", he said, pointing to clashes on 1 May past year that saw one police officer seriously burnt.
Protestors destroy shop windows during a demonstration on the sidelines of a march for the annual May Day workers' rally in Paris on May 1, 2018.
The violence marred a planned peaceful demonstration by French unions and supporters against the government's economic programme.
- Tiger commits to PLAYERS Championship, Wells Fargo
- House intel panel releases final report on Russian Federation probe
- China says won't force India to accept Belt and Road initiative
- Sajid Javid named UK Home Secretary
- Evacuations lifted after refinery fire in Wisconsin; 15 hurt
- MSNBC anchors defend Tom Brokaw against sexual harassment accusations
- Justin Timberlake reveals he may have hooked up with a Spice Girl
- Chiefs select defensive lineman in second round of NFL Draft
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' Trailer Expands on the Tic Tac Mythology
- Netanyahu Hands Trump PR Win on Iran