The tree had simply vanished, leaving behind nothing but a sad yellow patch of grass.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and French President Emmanuel Macron spoke on the phone for more than an hour Sunday, agreeing to work closely to preserve the Iran nuclear deal, according to a statement from the Elysee Palace.
An empty area where a tree was planted by President Donald Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron during a tree planting ceremony is seen through the media van window on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C., April 28, 2018.
The European sessile oak sapling had been taken from the site of the Battle of Belleau Wood, in north east France, where 2,000 American Marines died during World War One.
Evacuations lifted after refinery fire in Wisconsin; 15 hurt
The cafe patrons compared notes Friday morning and questioned the official narrative that the air was safe to breathe. It produces asphalt, gasoline, diesel and heavy fuel oils, largely using heavy crude oil imported from Canada.
The sapling was a gift from French President Emmanuel Macron for his state visit to Donald Trump last week.
Awkward footage showed her snubbing Mr Trump's attempts to grab her hand as the couple welcomed the Macrons to the White House. Some trees in northern France have been affected by a species of moth that has not yet made it to the United States. The French edition of Huffpost quoted a French government official as saying the oak was "doing well" but was under quarantine. The problem: Parasites on the tree could spread to others on the White House property.
The White House told NPR the young oak was "moved to a facility" to "ensure the tree's long-term survival" and that it will be replanted as soon as possible.
Reuters reported that the tree grew near the "Devil Dog" fountain. Also puzzling is why the White House didn't announce in advance that the planting last week was a purely symbolic event.
- Lawyer at Trump Tower meetings linked to Russian government
- ABBA records 2 songs, first new material in 35 years
- Trump tweet leads porn star Stormy Daniels to sue for defamation
- Tiger commits to PLAYERS Championship, Wells Fargo
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' Trailer Expands on the Tic Tac Mythology
- 'CARAVAN' CROSSING? Migrant Group ARRIVES at US Border
- MSNBC anchors defend Tom Brokaw against sexual harassment accusations
- Penn State S Marcus Allen selected by Steelers in 2018 NFL Draft
- House intel panel releases final report on Russian Federation probe
- Grassley-chaired Senate Judiciary Committee approves bill protecting Mueller