At the convention, Mr. Romney faced 11 other candidates, mostly political newcomers who questioned his criticism of President Trump and the depth of his ties to Utah.
Mitt Romney's restart of his political career hit a roadblock Saturday.
In votes against party delegates, Romney ended 2nd at their country & rsquo; s Republican Party convention in West Valley City, behind country lawmaker Mike Kennedy.
Many still consider Romney to still be the favorite. At the Utah GOP Convention, Romney split the vote with conservative state Rep. Mike Kennedy, who acknowledged that after a long day at convention, the room was getting exhausted.
In order to secure the nomination, a candidate needed to achieve 60% of the vote at Utah's state Republican convention.
State Rep. Mike Kennedy won 50.88 per cent.
Sylvester Stallone weighs in over pardon for the Galveston Giant
Bush pardoned Charles Winters in 2008, an American volunteer in the Arab-Israeli War convicted of violating the U.S. Johnson returned to the U.S.in 1920 to serve his sentence and was released almost one year later.
"Thank you to all the delegates who hung in there with us all day at the Convention", Romney tweeted later Saturday.
Although Romney accepted Trump's endorsement, he had attacked him as a "phony" and "fraud" during the 2016 presidential campaign.
"Romney previously secured his spot on the primary ballot by gathering 28,000 voter signatures but said Saturday that choice was partly to blame for his loss".
"This is terrific for the people of Utah, and I really want to thank the delegates who stayed so late to give me the kind of boost that I got here", he said after the vote. He had spent two months on the campaign trail visiting dairy farms, taking photos with college students and making stump speeches in small towns. "I'm exhausted of business as usual in Washington, D.C. If you want things to change, you need to vote for change". Romney moved to Utah in 2012 after losing the presidential election to Barack Obama.
Trump fired again that Romney "choked like a canine" throughout his personal White Home run.
- 'Glee' Star Kevin McHale Comes Out By The Power Of Ariana Grande
- PFA Player of the Year: Full shortlist ahead of tonight's awards
- Doctors: "Danny Farquhar 'progressing well" after surgery
- ZTE: US Ban Severely Impacts Survival and Hurts American Businesses
- North,South Koreas to set up hotline between leaders
- Chelsea: Alvaro Morata Apologises For 'Furious' Reaction To Being Substituted Against Burnley
- 'Smallville' actress Allison Mack charged with 'recruiting slaves for sex cult'
- Saudi Arabia Opens First Movie Theater with 'Black Panther' Screening
- Syracuse Suspends Fraternity Over 'Extremely Racist, Anti-Semitic, Homophobic' Video
- Chelsea boss warns Man City could dominate dor years in Premier League