The models will replace Airbus A330s and Boeing's 767 and 777 planes, bringing American Airlines' total number of 787s to 89. The deal will more than double its 787 Dreamliner fleet and makes American Airlines the largest 787 customer in the Western Hemisphere.
American also deferred delivery of 40 Boeing 737 Max narrow-body planes to between 2025 and 2026. "This new order is a powerful endorsement of the 787 family's unique passenger appeal and unmatched ability to help airlines open new routes and grow profitably", said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Kevin McAllister in a news release.
American Airlines is ordering 47 new Boeing 787 Dreamliners with a combined list price of $12.3 billion to replace some of its oldest planes.
American has been looking at alternatives for the order for 22 A350s that it gained through its 2013 merger with US Airways since previous year, and recently outlined a need to make a decision on what to do with its aging 767-300ER fleet. It ordered two sizes of Boeing's 787, a two-aisle jet. The entire order of new 787s will be powered with General Electric's GEnx-1B engines.
American operates 20 787-8s and 15 787-9s, Flight Fleets Analyzer shows.
March Madness Recap: Michigan vs. Loyola-Chicago Betting Odds
His work has been featured on Sports Illustrated, ESPN.com, FOXSports.com, CBSSports.com and many others. Loyola-Chicago is only the fourth No. 11 seed to reach the national semifinals.
Boeing Co (NYSE:BA) has beaten out its largest rival in a key deal to supply the next generation of widebody passenger airplanes to a major USA airline.
Isom and other executives have repeatedly emphasised a desire to simplify American's fleet throughout the process, suggesting that the 787 may have a lead over the Airbus types.
American Airlines' first Boeing 787 Dreamliner takes off for a test flight from Boeing's widebody factory in Everett, Wash., on January 6, 2015.
Chief financial officer Derek Kerr added advantages of carrying common fleet types included 'creating less friction in our operation when aircraft swaps are necessary, reducing inventory needs, and creating a more consistent service for customers and team members'. Hawaiian Airlines, the sole customer for Airbus's A330-800, decided last month to order 10 Dreamliners instead.
- Teachers walk out in Oklahoma and Kentucky
- Tell the family "dinner's ready" with Alexa Announcements
- Russian foreign minister suggests Britain may have been behind Skripal poisoning
- Ghouta Falls in Syrian Regime's Clutches
- Markets end flat in a see-saw trade day
- First Person Sentenced In Robert Mueller's Russia Investigation
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to testify before House committee on April 11
- Conor McGregor Responds to UFC Stripping Him of Lightweight Title
- Severe threat upgraded; tornado risk elevated — ALERT
- Who is Rebecca Dallet? Liberal Judge Wins Wisconsin Supreme Court Elections