Johnson was vague on reasons for the move, admitting though that it "didn't seem to be in keeping with our long-term plan". That contributed to the Jets' decision to back away from Suh.
Jets CEO Christopher Johnson told reporters Sunday in Orlando, Fla., where the annual league meetings take place through Wednesday, that he and general manager Mike Maccagnan had a change of heart about their offer to Suh.
"On reflection, and in concert with Mike, we've rescinded the offer to Suh", said Johnson (via NJ.com), who took over the Jets previous year when his older brother, Woody Johnson, became the Trump administration's ambassador to the United Kingdom.
"I don't normally talk about discussions with players and contracts", Maccagnan said.
Here Are Some Signs From Today's Incredible 'March For Our Lives' Rally
She stayed silent on stage for six minutes and 20 seconds - the exact amount of time it took them to be killed. But these rallies did not attract too many students even in some of the most liberal campuses in the USA.
"Our thinking just changed a bit", Johnson said without elaborating.
Suh has said the Jets made the largest offer, something Johnson couldn't confirm.
The Jets are looking to replace defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, who was released because of cap and production concerns. Johnson himself described Suh as "one of the best football players out there", but he evidently didn't want him on his team.
In other developments, Johnson said he was "absolutely" disappointed that Kirk Cousins didn't take his team's free-agent offer, but he expressed optimism about the "Plan B" at quarterback. "I'm really excited about it".
- 'Alvaro Morata must earn FIFA World Cup spot'
- Trump plans to hit China with $60 bn in annual tariffs
- President Trump's order would ban most transgender troops from serving
- Dropbox surges 44% in trading debut
- Afghanistan beat Ireland to qualify for World Cup 2019
- Mohamed Salah Continues Scoring Run With Nice Goal v Portugal
- Shares in Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN) Acquired by First Hawaiian Bank
- Stephen Hawking's ashes to be interred at Westminster Abbey
- Fortnite Twitch streamer Ninja is making $500000 a month
- Porn star Stormy Daniels suing Trump lawyer for defamation