A bomb targeting the director of security of an Egyptian city killed one of his bodyguards and wounded four others, according to state-run Ahram news agency, citing authorities.
Islamic State attempted to assassinate Egypt's defence and interior ministers in December during a trip the pair made to the Sinai Peninsula, where the hardline militant group has been waging an insurgency for nearly five years.
The bomb was placed under a parked auto and exploded as Mostafa El-Nemr's convoy was passing, killing the two officers, ages 45 and 19, and injuring about five other policemen. The Health Ministry later said a second officer died in the attack.
The interior ministry says at least 2 people were killed, including a police officer, and 5 others were injured.
Local TV showed General al-Nimr inspecting the scene of the blast following the attack.
Stephen Hawking's ashes to be interred at Westminster Abbey
His family has announced that his funeral will be on Easter Saturday at Great St Mary's, the University Church in Cambridge. The church is close to Gonville and Caius College, where the physicist had been a fellow for more than 50 years.
The bombing comes just days before President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi faces the head of the Ghad Party Moussa Moustafa Moussa in the presidential election.
MENA quoted Nemr as saying that two people, a policeman and a driver, were killed in the blast.
The bomb, which was planted under a vehicle, went off when the auto of Alexandria's security commander passed by, the ministry said.
No group has immediately claimed responsibility for the explosion.
- Dropbox surges 44% in trading debut
- North, South Korea set to hold talks ahead of major summit
- Governor decries temporary block on abortion law
- Pennsylvania school district supplies teachers with rocks in event of school shooter
- France shooting: Partner of attacker detained
- Trump in Tweet Defends Congratulatory Call to Putin on Election
- HBO's John Oliver Taunts Mike Pence Over The VP's Pet Rabbit
- Fortnite Twitch streamer Ninja is making $500000 a month
- Trump plans to hit China with $60 bn in annual tariffs
- 'Alvaro Morata must earn FIFA World Cup spot'