This upward trend in pedestrian deaths is, sadly, not new; pedestrian fatalities have climbed steadily in 6 out of the 7 years between 2009 and 2016, resulting in almost 2,000 more deaths per year in 2016 than in 2009, according to the Governor's Highway Safety Association (GHSA), a nonprofit implemented to address behavioral safety issues among drivers.
The Tempe police is actively working with the National Transportation Safety Board and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to determine who is at fault for the accident. All test vehicles are required to have a qualified safety driver who is ready to take control, until autonomous vehicle trials demonstrate that the technology is ready for fully autonomous operations.
Responding to the news, Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said in a tweet: "Some incredibly sad news out of Arizona".
Killed, Several Injured In Lahore Blast; Police Suspected To Be Target
In April, six people including army personnel were killed in a suicide attack on a census team on Bedian Road. The DIG said it was apparently a suicide blast, saying the body parts of the bomber have been recovered.
The Maricopa County Attorney's Office in Phoenix said it was awaiting the results of an investigation by Tempe police before reviewing whether any charges should be filed. She highlighted a 2016 IMechE case study, which called for public consultations, new regulations and driver training before automated cars become fully legal. This incident appears to be one of those "corner cases" that Elon Musk refers to often as being the most hard for software engineers to deal with.
Self-driving cars are designed with the belief that computers can operate vehicles better than human. Uber's highly publicized autonomous auto project has been mired in controversy for at least the past year.
A self-driving Uber SUV struck and killed a pedestrian on a street Sunday in Tempe, Arizona. A year ago saw Tesla's semi-autonomous Autopilot system cleared of defects following a seven-month investigation into a fatal crash in 2016.
A report from the US National Vehicle Crash Causation Survey revealed that "94% of all accidents in the US are caused by human error (i.e. drivers)".
In the UK, Gatwick Airport is planning to test self-driving shuttle buses this summer.
The Teamsters union has urged lawmakers to slow legislation that would preempt state laws and allow companies to deploy self-driving cars without steering wheels, foot pedals or other features in greater numbers than possible now.
- At least 15 dead as migrant boat sinks off Greek island
- Kirk Cousins deal has a no-trade, no-transition tag clause
- Swansea boss Carvalhal not expecting weakened Spurs without Kane
- Explosion at Goodwill store in Austin, 1 person injured
- Why did Arvind Kejriwal apologise to Bikram Singh Majithia now?
- New York Giants Get Good News In Race For Saquon Barkley
- Pochettino makes personal phone call to player, Tottenham 'favourites' to complete signing
- Sehrai replaces Geelani as interim Tehreek-e-Hurriyat chairman
- Trump attacks fired Federal Bureau of Investigation official over alleged memos
- Trump seeking to slap steep tariff on Chinese imports says report