The blast occurred near a police check post, he said, adding that police was the target.
The area deputy inspector general police, Haider Ashraf, told reporters a religious congregation of about 60,000 people was underway in the Raiwind area and the bomber on a motorbike meant to attack the worshipers.
He told reporters that three policemen were among the dead. It is being suspected that the attack was targeted towards the police.
The DIG said it was apparently a suicide blast, saying the body parts of the bomber have been recovered.
More than a dozen other people were wounded in the explosion, which took place close to a police post set up near the grounds where a religious congregation was taking place. A search operation in the surrounding area has also been launched.
Apple to acquire Texture, the 'Netflix for magazines'
It'll also offer another revenue boost to Apple's increasingly profitable services division, alongside Apple Music. They had better be thinking bigger if they'd like to complete with market giants Amazon, Netflix and Stan however.
In a tweet, Punjab province's government "strongly condemned" the attack.
No militant group has claimed the responsibility of the blast so far.
Ashraf said numerous wounded were police and three were hospitalized in critical condition.
In February past year, 18 people were killed, including several police officials, and more than 80 wounded in a suicide attack during a protest on a busy intersection of Lahore.
According to available information, a terrorist tried to entered camp of Raiwind congregation but policemen stopped him and suicide bomber blew him up, killing seven policemen while injuring 12 persons.
In April, six people including army personnel were killed in a suicide attack on a census team on Bedian Road.
- Villanova earns top seed in NCAA Tournament East Region
- US Secretary Of State, Tillerson Cancels Visit To Nigeria?
- Southampton in talks with Hughes
- Harvey Schwartz quits Goldman Sachs
- DoJ proposes banning bump stocks, like those Vegas shooter had
- Duke To Face UNC In ACC Tournament Semifinal: How To Watch
- Manchester United crash out of Champions League
- What to expect from the 'American Idol' premiere
- Mario placed on Google Maps, but why?
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to get Oreo update this month