With the stop, Tillerson became the highest-ranking US official ever to visit Chad.
He also vowed that his administration would continue to do its best to secure the country, and to ensure the forthcoming general elections are conducted freely without bias.
The top US diplomat flew into the Chadian capital, N'Djamena, on the last day of a truncated tour of Africa with stops in Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti and Nigeria - all frontline partners against Islamic State and al Qaeda offshoots.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson listens to a question during a news conference in Nairobi, Kenya, March 9, 2018.
"We hope something can be worked out and they (Boko Haram) can be persuaded to release these girls quickly".
President Buhari said Nigeria prefers to have the schoolgirls back alive, and that is why it has chosen negotiation, rather than military option.
Newly-elected MLAs of Meghalaya take oath
NPP's rise in the state has been impressive as it raised its tally to 19 seats from just two in the previous elections. The BJP asked its ally to take a lead and NPP chief Conrad K Sangma is set to be the next CM of Meghalaya .
President Muhammadu Buhari met American Secretary of State Rex Tillerson at the presidential offices at Aso Rock, Abuja, on Monday.
"We are trying to be careful".
Other topics of discussion during Tillerson's meeting with Kenyatta were defeating terrorism in neighboring Somalia, political unrest in South Sudan and strengthening U.S.
Chad past year was stunned to find itself on one of six Muslim-majority countries whose countries are affected by President Donald Trump's travel ban.
Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis left Washington for a six-day trip that begins with stops in Oman and Bahrain, where Mattis said his priority is to cement U.S. military relationships with the two Persian Gulf nations. Chad's military provides troops to United Nations peacekeeping missions, it hosts hundreds of thousands of refugees and it's also helping counter militant groups linked to al-Qaeda and Islamic State in neighboring Libya.
- DoJ proposes banning bump stocks, like those Vegas shooter had
- Euthanasia and beyond: on the Supreme Court's verdict
- Apple to acquire Texture, the 'Netflix for magazines'
- Rand Paul's neighbor pleads guilty to attacking Kentucky senator
- Villanova earns top seed in NCAA Tournament East Region
- Golden State Warriors Will Try to Get Back On Track vs Timberwolves
- Six Nations 2018: England desperate to make up for Scotland defeat
- Mario placed on Google Maps, but why?
- Tom Brady Believed Patriots Beating Jaguars Without Gronk Was 'A (Expletive) Miracle'
- Haley Warns US May Unleash Massive New Airstrikes in Syria