The team placed the transition tag on the fourth-year cornerback on Tuesday, meaning they will now have the right of first refusal to match any offer he may receive from another team.
The tag guarantees Fuller a $12.971 million salary for the 2018 season and gives the Bears until July 16 to work out a long-term contract.
Oakland trotted out one of the worst secondaries in football in 2017. Acting as one of the best cover guys in the league, the 26-year-old Fuller recorded 68 tackles, 22 passes defended and two interceptions. The 2014 first-round draft pick missed the entire 2016 season following a routine knee scope, which caused the team to decline his fifth-year option. The tagging club is awarded no compensation if it chooses not to match.
Russian Federation and Syria clash with USA and West on Syria ceasefire
Syrian children fill plastic containers at a water pump in Arbin in the rebel-held enclave of Eastern Ghouta on February 25, 2018. Mark Lowcock, the UN under secretary-general for humanitarian affairs, addressing members of the UN Security Council.
Fuller gets the tag after bouncing back from injury in 2017.
The deadline to apply franchise and transition tags was at 4 p.m. ET.
However the Bears do it, they know they need to keep Fuller or risk adding cornerback to the list of positions already in need of upgrade in the offseason.
That's bad news for Chiefs fans who wanted to see their favorite team bring in Kyle Fuller to play alongside his younger brother, Kendall Fuller, who was a primary part of the prize when they traded Alex Smith to Washington in January. He started 30 games in his first two seasons out of Virginia Tech and had six interceptions and 129 tackles. It's also a little cheaper than the franchise tag, which would've paid Fuller around $14.9 million this year.
- Pakistani lawmakers begin secret vote for 52 Senate seats
- Police arrests man under suspicion of Oscar theft
- Dana White Confirms Chances Of A Brock Lesnar UFC Return
- California areas advised to evacuate ahead of potential mudslides
- Cardinal Pell returns to court to fight sexual offence charges
- M*A*S*H and Beauty and Beast star David Ogden Stiers dies aged 75
- Rick Ross reportedly placed on Life Support following Cardiac Arrest
- Venezuela's Presidential Election moved back To May
- Jaguar I-Pace finally unveiled
- AXA to purchase XL Group