Researchers with the Conservancy of Southwest Florida revealed a stunning find Thursday in which an 11-foot-long Burmese python was found to swallow an animal larger than itself.
They captured it and moved it to an open area, where the snake began to regurgitate the young white-tailed deer.
That python weighed 31.5 pounds, and experts say the Burmese pythons can even get much bigger than that.
Burmese pythons are a non-native species to North America that have established a population in South Florida due to the pet trade.
While this invasive python is known to kill and ingest large prey, this kill was particularly unique as the predator-to-prey ratio is the largest on record, officials said.
Bartoszek said that while he doesn't believe the Burmese pythons can be totally eradicated from Florida, he and others are working to control them.
Pakistan bans screening of Anushka Sharma starrer 'Pari'
Only time will reveal if Pari will be able to impress the audience like it did Virat and rule the box office as well. In Sui Dhaaga, Varun essays the role of a tailor named - Mauji, while Anushka is an embroider, named Mamta.
"That's what we're up against here with this invasive apex predator", Bartoszek said.
Now there are 20 male pythons tagged. Shortly after, the python was humanely euthanized.
The Burmese python is not native to the Americas. Last month, hundreds of adult Burmese pythons were caught in southwest Florida during this cull.
When they later weighed the snake and its prey separately, they discovered that the fawn actually weighed more than four pounds more than the snake.
The Conservancy of Southwest Florida partners with scientists and land managers from the U.S. Geological Survey, Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, Collier Seminole State Park, University of Florida, Florida Gulf Coast University, Denison University and Naples Zoo to study and address the problem of invasive Burmese pythons in Southwest Florida.
- Woods commits to play next week in Honda Classic
- Investor Warren Buffett says good deals tough to find
- Uber ride home after hours of drinking costs man $1600
- Maybelline deletes tweet polling followers if it should stay on Snapchat
- 'Kaala' teaser pushed due to Kanchi Shankaracharya's death
- Russian Federation and Syria clash with USA and West on Syria ceasefire
- For the first time in 25 years South Africa increases Value-Added Tax
- Utah Unions Keeping Close Eye on US Supreme Court's Janus Case
- United Kingdom economic growth revised lower in the fourth-quarter
- Wounded Palestinian Teen Cousin of Activist Released Following Arrest in West Bank