"The armed forces call upon Egyptian people in all parts of the country to closely cooperate with law enforcement forces to confront terrorism, uproot it and immediately report any elements threatening the security and stability of the country", military spokesman Colonel Tamer al Rifai said in a televised address.
Egypt's army yesterday said it had killed 16 jihadists and detained 34 more in the Sinai Peninsula since launching a major operation against them on Friday.
Another 30 suspects were arrested, it said.
The former general had ordered the military in November to defeat militants in northern Sinai within three months, after an attack on a mosque killed more than 300 people, the deadliest such incident in the Arab world's most populous country.
North Sinai has witnessed many terrorists attacks since the January 2011 revolution.
Smallest partner approves deal on new German government
If a deal emerges, it won't bring an immediate end to the political limbo following Germany's September 24 election. Schulz responded by abandoning his post-election vow to renew the party in opposition- a U-turn that angered many.
Sinai 2018" is a continuation of a series of the "Martyr's Right" military operation "which were conducted against terrorists in North Sinai since September 2014, Egyptian Presidential Spokesperson Bassam Radi told the reporters on Sunday.
The security operation launched on Friday involves troops from the Egyptian air force, navy and army as well as the police and border guards. The Sinai borders Israel and the Gaza Strip and has always been a bastion for Islamic insurgent groups tied to al-Qaida.
The New York Times says Israeli warplanes have carried out covert air strikes in Egypt with the Egyptian president's approval. They are blamed for a series of bomb, gun and suicide attacks that have killed hundreds in Egypt.
Egypt has, for years, battled an armed anti-government campaign in the rugged and thinly populated Sinai Peninsula, which has gained pace since the military overthrew democratically-elected President Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood in mid-2013.
At least 10 terrorists have been killed on Sunday during a police raid in Arish city of Egypt's North Sinai province bordering Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip, a security source and medics told Xinhua. Locals said the mosque was popular among Sufis.
- U.S. spies, seeking to retrieve cyberweapons, paid Russian peddling dirt on Trump
- Victoria Beckham shoots down rumours of Spice Girls reunion tour
- Jones accuses Wales captain of insulting referees
- Crisp County's Quay Walker flips from Alabama to Georgia
- Lucas is the first Gerber Baby with Down syndrome
- Toronto police recover remains of 6 presumed victims of serial killer
- TheDC Newsroom: Winter Olympics Are Heating Up
- Everton boss Allardyce surprised Schneiderlin being booed
- Russia meddled in US election, former President Bush says
- Former United footballer Liam Miller loses battle with cancer