Northern and eastern Taiwan were rocked by a magnitude 6.0 quake at 11:50pm last night.
Efforts to rescue people trapped inside is underway.
The quake followed one over the weekend off the coast of Hualien, which lies along the famed "Pacific Rim of Fire" known for seismic activity from Alaska to Southeast Asia.
Facebook user Sun Chen-hsiang, who was livestreaming the scene at the hotel from a distance, told how the building next to his home had collapsed. People were requested to move on to the safer place. The video shows people gathering near the building and shining flashlights on windows.
Reports continue to come in of other damage registered to buildings and infrastructure.
Kate Middleton honors Princess Diana's legacy at children's hospital
It's also been speculated that perhaps she chose to leave it at home because she might have swollen fingers due to her pregnancy. Children of the school enthusiastically wove flags and gifted Kate with flowers upon her arrival.
"The president has asked the cabinet and related ministries to immediately launch the "disaster mechanism" and to work at the fastest rate on disaster relief work", the president's office said in a statement.
The quake is said to be centered in East China Sea, around 21 kilometers north-northeast of Hualien City.
It follows nearly 100 smaller tremors to have hit the area in the last three days.
The quake comes nearly exactly two years since a quake of the same magnitude struck the southern Taiwanese city of Tainan, killing more than 100 people. "There are cracks on the wall, even the fridge moved", he said.
TWO people have been killed and more than 100 are injured after two earthquakes struck Taiwan.
Some people in Taiwan are still scarred by a 1999 magnitude-7.6 natural disaster in which more than 2,000 people died.
- Ferndale native set to coach Super Bowl
- Securities Analyst Recommendations: Presidio, Inc. (PSDO), Summit Midstream Partners, LP (SMLP)
- NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA): Tech Stock Trending Alert
- QUALCOMM, Inc. (NASDAQ:QCOM) Holdings Reduced by Macquarie Group Ltd.
- Libyan Oil Exports Rise Amid High OPEC Compliance
- Super Bowl LII: 5 candidates to take home the MVP award
- North Korea earned $200M from banned exports, sends arms to Syria, Myanmar
- Elneny watches from the bench as Arsenal thrash Everton 5-1
- (MSFT) Shares Sold by Ironwood Investment Counsel LLC
- Potential Real Madrid lineup against Levante