That could turn out to be a major bonus, depending on Google's future plans. This means around 2,000 HTC engineers, many of whom worked with Google on the Pixel smartphone, will be become part of Google's team.
As for HTC, this deal might have come just at the right time, as according to the recent financial reports of the company, they didn't have a good standing.
The company is now more focused on its Vive Virtual Reality business along with the Internet of Things, Augmented Reality and Artificial Intelligence.
"Our intention is to invest in the long term, and you will see significant growth in our investments", said Rick Osterloh. While there is no word if we will see more custom chips from Google this year or not, a recent report by Bloomberg revealed that Apple is now working on a new co-processor for its Mac devices.
Previously, Google has developed the Pixel Visual core, a custom chip that works in a similar way to Apple's A11 Bionic and Samsung's Exynos 8895.
Get Ready For A Super Blue Blood Moon on January 31
The moon orbits our planet from between 233,000 miles and 253,000 miles away. "The orbit it not a flawless circle", Pierce said. If that crossing corresponds to a full moon, the moon will pass into the Earth's shadow, resulting in a total lunar eclipse.
While not mentioned by name, it appears HTC is in fact the manufacturer behind the upcoming Google Pixel 2 smartphone. However, if Google really enters the hardware business, some suppliers will be left with no business. HTC built the first Pixel phone.
Google could push things even further and design a system-on-a-chip that meets its own needs. Imagination Technologies Group suffered a similar fate past year after Apple stopped buying the United Kingdom company's graphics chips in favor of in-house designs.
They will be tasked with the next generation devices - most likely named Pixel 3. The exec did not mention this year's new Pixel phones during the interview.
Apple already kits out the iPhone with ARM-based microprocessors designed in-house, and recently added graphics processing capabilities - a development that cost its main graphics processing technology supplier, Imagination Technologies, dear.
Google is making a billion dollar bet on its ability to beat Apple at the very top end of the highly competitive smartphone market. The sales will remain limited to nine countries, including the US, Germany and Singapore. Google pulled its services from mainland China in 2010 after refusing to censor its search results.
- England Women make sure not to leave Sydney empty-handed
- "Black Panther" stars tout its diversity and example at LA premiere
- California siblings 'starved, shackled, taunted with food'
- Lorde not performing at Grammys because she wasn't offered solo spot
- The Cleveland Indians will finally abandon their racist logo after this season
- Kevin Love likely out 6-8 weeks with broken bone in hand
- Prepare for a rare celestial trifecta: Super Blue Blood Moon
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation chief says Turkey has right to defend itself amid Syria campaign
- Swiss Mummy Identified as Ancestor of Boris Johnson
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny says police raided his office