"To anybody travelling somewhere tropical, please be careful when in the sand and wear shoes", she wrote.
CTV News reported that Katie Stephens, 22, and Eddie Zytner, 25, had been staying at the IFA Villas Bavaro resort for a week. Stevens' symptoms soon followed, and both of them were rushed to the hospital.
"We want to make it known to more doctors what it is, what to look for and stuff because it took us a few trips to the hospital to find out what it was".
At first the pair assumed it must be sand fleas, which they had been warned about.
Zytner said he went right away to two different doctors after having seen how bad his feet were.
He was sent home in bandages with no answers.
At the end of Sunday, Stephens said she started to see her feet swollen.
The Cleveland Indians will finally abandon their racist logo after this season
The initial lawsuit was dismissed, but a local architect and baseball fan refiled his suit previous year . In 1915, the franchise changes its team name to the Indians .
"I think I might have complained about it a little bit more that my feet were itchy, but mine didn't start swelling and everything until about the Sunday night".
"The hookworm larvae can infect people if their bare skin comes into contact with the soil - for example, if you're walking barefoot", the NHS notes. The first thing that the swelling on their toes is because of send but then it turns out to be parasites that puts them both in such a serious condition.
A Canadian couple acquired hookworms after walking barefoot on a beach in the Dominican Republic.
The doctor prescribed Ivermectin, which had to be specially requested for at Health Canada, as the medication is not licensed in the country.
Ms Stephens told CTVNews that their request to the Canadian health authorities was denied.
Stephens also complained that the health care system in Canada did not cover the medication she needed, although she later added, "I would like to stress we had unbelievable health care from our doctors to our nurses, nurse practitioners and pharmacists".
Instead, Zytner's mother had to drive to Detroit and pay CAD$88 to pick up the medication for the couple. They took it for two days and now say they're starting to feel a little better-although they still need to use crutches to get around. Katie Stevens and Eddie Zytner recall that throughout their stay at the IFA Villas Bavaro Resort, they had itchy feet, but chose to disregard this symptom, as the locals told them that their itchiness is caused by something called a sand flea. Stephens pleaded on Facebook last week after receiving the diagnosis.
Stephens wrote on Facebook that the couple "simply thought it was just bug bites and it became worse as each day passed". And although the bumps didn't show instantaneity, she also began noticing them in the following days.
- Liverpool's Adam Lallana out of FA Cup tie
- Get Ready For A Super Blue Blood Moon on January 31
- Boeing loses Bombardier anti-dumping case
- John Lindsey: Why is winter the season of the flu?
- Commuters killed as train derails near Milan
- Lorde not performing at Grammys because she wasn't offered solo spot
- "Black Panther" stars tout its diversity and example at LA premiere
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny says police raided his office
- Fitness Map Appears To Reveal Military Base Activity
- Congress president Rahul Gandhi approves 70-member campaign committee for Karnataka