Boris Johnson has found a new way to make headlines: By being the distant descendant of a mummified corpse of a woman who has baffled scientists since she was discovered in a Swiss church more than 40 years ago.
Anna Catharina Bischoff's body was uncovered in 1975 while renovations were being done on the Barfuesser church. She is believed to be Johnson's great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother, according to researchers who had been testing her body since 2015and announced their findings on Thursday.
The exact circumstances of Anna Catharina Bischoff's life are also unclear, though the BBC reports that she appears to have contracted syphilis while working to cure patients with the disease in France.
The British foreign minister is the six-times grandson of the Basel mummy. It may not have worked, but the mercury did help to preserve her body until now.
Boris Johnson. Credit PA
However, the identity of the woman within seemed lost to history until recently discovered archives revealed that the mummy had actually been unearthed before, in 1843.
Using the most up to date methods, scientists were able to extract DNA material from the mummy's big toe. Five generations of von Pfeffels later, and we find Marie Luise von Pfeffel marrying one Stanley Fred Williams.
Bischoff was born in 1719 into a wealthy Basel family and married a pastor before having seven children, two of whom survived to become adults.
On the death of her husband she returned to her home town of Basel, and apparently underwent rigorous mercury treatment in the hope of a cure.
Their daughter Yvonne married Osman Wilfred Johnson Kemal... and their son, Stanley Johnson, is British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson's father. Rosemary Brobst-Rhyner is another of her descendants.
Pennsylvania Supreme Court Throws out Congressional District Boundaries, Orders Them Redrawn
But the legal challenge, filed by the League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania, relied on the state Constitution, not the U.S. Crompton said the Legislature would begin working on a new map pending a possible stay to the state's decision.
- Zinedine Zidane Encouraged by Clinical Real Madrid
- Path to citizenship for some 'dreamers,' if wall funded
- Trump in 'Excellent' Physical, Cognitive Health, Doctor Says
- Om Prakash Rawat appointed as new Chief Election Commissioner
- Intel warns everyone not to download its Spectre and Meltdown patch
- Jurgen Klopp explains why Liverpool won't replace Philippe Coutinho in January
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation chief says Turkey has right to defend itself amid Syria campaign
- Announcing the Farewell release date & boxed... - Life is unusual
- Kim Kardashian new child bonding with North and Saint
- Pentagon: US military advantage over Russia, China 'eroding'