Fire erupted on second floor of the godown. The fire was doused after three hours.
Officials said the building, which didn't have the mandatory no-objection certificate on fire safety, was sealed after the blaze. "After inquiry we will get to know the reason of the fire".
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed anguish at the death of people in the fire.
On the other hand, North Delhi Mayor Pretty Aggarwal said, "I received information about the incident on phone at around 9 pm & we immediately rushed to the spot".
In November, a massive fire at a plastic factory in the northern city of Ludhiana left 13 people dead, including three firefighters who were killed when the building collapsed. Officials of Delhi Fire Service and the north corporation admit that illegal constructions in factories are a major reason for repeated incidents of fire in the area but little has been done to rein them in.
Boris Johnson proposes 22-mile bridge to connect United Kingdom and France
Prime Minister Theresa May's office said there were no specific plans for a cross-Channel bridge. It is understood that the French president responded positively to the idea saying: "I agree".
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal's tweet read, "V sad to hear abt large no of casualties".
Two people were injured in the blaze, one of the Capital's deadliest industrial tragedies since 57 people were killed in a fire in the Lal Kuan chemical market complex in May 1999.
He also said police would register a case. The Delhi government has ordered an inquiry into it. The bodies of victims, who died due to suffocation, were found piled up in the toilet area where they had hoped to escape from the fire. "May those who are injured recover quickly", the prime minister's office tweeted.
"Visited the site of #BawanaFire and #MahirshiValmikiHospital at Pooth Khurd, where two of the injured are being treated 24-year-old Roop Prakash and 45- year-old Sunita". Several casualties. Monitoring the situation.
- Zac Efron as 'Extremely Wicked' Ted Bundy
- Venus Williams knocked out by Belinda Bencic
- Chronic traumatic encephalopathy may start early even without signs of concussions
- City's unbeaten run in EPL ends with 4-3 loss at Liverpool
- Abe, Turnbull view Japanese special forces in action
- Valverde: Barcelona will bounce back from Espanyol defeat
- Nintendo Labo - Cardboard toys for Switch
- NASA, USGS confirm MI meteorite strike
- Get set for a clash of the showmen on Friday night
- Here's why Japan city used loudspeaker to recall deadly fugu blowfish packages