The fish's skin, intestines, ovaries and livers all contain poison that can kill people if the seafood isn't prepared properly, according to Japan Times.
Regional health officials on Tuesday said a supermarket in the central city of Gamagori sold five packages of assorted blowfish meat.
While three of the five packages sold have been found, two others have yet to be recovered.
"We are calling for residents to avoid eating fugu, using Gamagōri city's emergency wireless system", local official Koji Takayanagi told AFP. With four other packages sold but unaccounted for, city officials alerted residents via the emergency loudspeakers normally used for earthquakes and other disasters.
"Eating a blowfish liver can paralyse motor nerves, and in a serious case cause respiratory arrest leading to death", regional officials said in a statement.
Tunisia protesters arrested in clashes this week
A Jewish school on the island of Djerba was badly damaged after being hit with petrol bombs, although no one was injured. On Monday, a week after the new budget took effect, protests erupted in more than 10 towns across the country.
Three of these have been located, and no one has yet been harmed, but two remain missing. Tetrodotoxin poison will cause numbness around the mouth, then paralysis and that can lead to a person's death.
There is no antidote to the poison.
Handling fugu fish is highly regulated and requires a license.
Chefs in Japan require years of training and a special licence if they plan to prepare & serve fugu.
"It's a very tasty fish, but that's not the only reason people choose to go to a fugu restaurant", said Shinichi Ueshima, a chef at the Dote restaurant in Yokohama.
- Super Mario Odyssey to get free 'Luigi's Balloon World' add-on
- Giggs named Wales boss
- Vivo beats Apple and Samsung to the top smartphone feature of 2018
- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu arrives in Delhi
- Turkey warns citizens against USA travel over security
- 'Seems unlikely' I'll need to speak with Mueller
- Carabao Cup: Arsenal hold Chelsea in semi-final
- Huawei fails to seal USA sales partnership deal with AT&T
- Florida woman found dead, killed by mistake and 3 people arrested
- Raiders to host Seahawks in first NFL game at new Tottenham stadium