"In terms of cryptocurrencies, generally, I can say with nearly certainty that they will come to a bad ending", the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway said.
He described Mr Abel and Mr Jain as having "Berkshire in their blood". The chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway even called himself "too dumb to realize" how successful Amazon would become.
Buffett dismissed the idea of a horse race between Abel and Jain for the top job. Jain will oversee all of Berkshire's insurance operations.
2017-18 flu season expected to be one of worst in years
A study also done on flu vaccination said that it can significantly reduce a child's risk of dying from influenza. The three flu-related deaths are the first ones in Tarrant County in a flu season that has gripped North Texas.
The hard-driving Buffett, who has been reluctant to name a successor, said in the past that Berkshire's board knows who would take over if something were to happen to him. "But I think we have to be a little more careful", he said in December.
Abel, who grew up in Alberta, Canada, joined Berkshire Hathaway Energy in 1992.
Buffett and Berkshire's 94-year-old Vice Chairman Charlie Munger will retain their positions on the board, which is expanding to 14 members from 12. His Iowa-based unit now runs several power companies in the United States, Canada and Britain, as well as natural gas pipelines and solar and wind farms. Jain is being appointed vice chairman of insurance operations. He joined Berkshire's insurance group in 1986.
Nevertheless, Buffett, the world's third richest person according to Forbes magazine, has long said Jain has probably made more money for Berkshire than he has. Over the last decade, Berkshire's Buffett brought in two hedge fund managers, Ted Weschler and Todd Combs, for investing in publicly traded stocks.
- Jerry Van Dyke, Emmy-nominated star of 'Coach,' dead at 86
- Huawei fails to seal USA sales partnership deal with AT&T
- HTC unveils 'Pro' virtual reality headset
- SpaceX defends rocket's performance in secret satellite launch
- Meghan Markle deletes social media accounts ahead of wedding
- Google Memo Author Sues, Claiming Bias Against White Conservative Men
- Intel's 8th Gen G-series processors pack RX Vega M graphics
- Ford to offer diesel version of best-selling F-150 pickup truck
- AMD slashes the MSRP of its Ryzen and Threadripper CPUs
- LaVar Ball: Lakers coach Luke Walton 'doesn't have control' of team