A bomb squad was sent to Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin's home after a neighbor spotted a suspicious package in his driveway.
The package label said the givers were "The American People".
No evacuations were ordered, but the street was closed while authorities examined the large box.
Mnuchin has yet to comment on the package.
It was determined the package contained a "pretty good quantity" of horse manure, police officials told various media outlets. Fearing the worst, the Secret Service also became involved in the incident.
Omarosa Disrupts a White House Tree-Trimming Party in SNL's Cold Open
Baldwin's Trump thanked everyone who worked for him and all the "haters and losers" who tried to "destroy" him, by putting them on the "loser tree".
A Christmas card discovered inside made negative references to Mnuchin, President Donald Trump and the $1.5 trillion tax bill that Trump signed into law Friday, police said.
A neighbor, Prince Frederick von Anhalt, said he and others who live above the home were trapped for about two hours, until police found out it was filled with manure and cleared the scene.
Someone in the neighborhood reportedly received a suspicious package addressed to Mnuchin, according to the LAPD.
"We have $50 million homes and we can't move, we can't get out", he said. "That's bad, they have to find another way".
- Elderly Couple Arrested With $336K of Pot, Claims it Was Christmas Gifts
- Palestinian teen arrested after video showing her slapping Israeli soldier went viral
- Samsung unveils 'Galaxy A8', 'Galaxy A8+' with Infinity Display
- 'I'm nervous': Prince Harry interviews Obama
- Selena Gomez & Justin Bieber's Romance Sends Her Mother To The Hospital
- Old habits die hard for Liverpool as defensive gremlins resurface at Arsenal
- A Catherine remake to bring new content to PS4 and Vita
- Control of Virginia's State House Could Be Decided by a Coin Toss
- 5-Year-Old Calls 911 to Report Grinch Stealing Christmas
- Wisconsin Badgers named to Canada's Olympic hockey team