Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson, last year's Heisman victor, was third, the best finish by a returning victor since Tim Tebow of Florida in 2008. He is OU's sixth Heisman victor, joining Billy Vessels (1952), Steve Owens (1969), Billy Sims (1978), Jason White (2003) and Sam Bradford (2008).
Should Mayfield win the Heisman, and he will, his next goal will be winning the Rose Bowl over Georgia and winning the College Football Playoff. As Mayfield's play was consistently dominant down the stretch and the other candidates fell off the pack, Mayfield emerged as the leader.
The quarterback was arrested in February and pleaded guilty to three misdemeanors, including public intoxication. For the season, he completed 262 of 369 passes for 4,340 yards for 41 touchdowns and only five interceptions.
Russian Federation inquiry zeroes in on bank records
The Deutsche subpoenas were sent several weeks ago, according to the Bloomberg report . Deutsche Bank may be glad it's being forced to hand over information.
Mayfield became the sixth Oklahoma player to win the Heisman (Love became the sixth Stanford player to finish second), and he does so because of a season in which he threw multiple touchdown passes in every game, averaged at least 10 yards per attempt 10 times and passed for over 300 yards eight times. He did this all despite losing head coach Bob Stoops, Heisman finalist receiver Dede Westbrook and thousand-yard runners Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon from last year's team.
In other years, that may have been reason enough to not vote for Mayfield if the other candidates were even in the same stratosphere as him, but they're not, and that's why he may set a record for margin of victory when the Heisman is announced.
Mayfield is no stranger to controversy, but you can't deny the impact he made on the field this season.
- Facebook unveils chat app for kids, with parental controls
- Bandai Namco announces Soulcalibur VI for PC, PS4 and Xbox One
- Trump Will Undergo Physical Exam After Slurring Through Speech
- Pittsburgh's Action Weather forecast: Temperatures well above average today
- SD Senator John Thune; Time to Roll Back Net Neutrality
- Xiaomi Mi A1 is Getting New Update, No It's not Oreo!
- Russian Federation says ready to exert influence on North Korea: RIA
- Brussels Loses Right to Host Euro 2020 Soccer Matches to London
- Chiefs Jets Week 13 score, highlights
- Ukraine arrests anti-corruption activist Saakashvili