Not present at the event were congressional Democrats and many Jewish leaders critical of the president, who were left off the invites, according to the New York Times.
During the hastily assembled December 8 UNSC meeting, UN special envoy to the Middle East Nickolay Mladenov expressed dismay that Trump - acting in his current capacity as president of the United States - officially recognised Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, cited by The Hindu.
At the White House Hanukkah party the mood was ecstatic as President Trump promised that the evening would be "all about Jerusalem".
Trump's spokesman Shah says the president was briefed and "fully aware" of the potential ramifications of his actions.
Every former president before Trump who made it their campaign promise to formally recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital failed to deliver.
Inside the 30000-Square-Foot Starbucks Reserve Roastery in Shanghai
One of its three coffee bars is 88-feet long, the longest Starbucks bar in the world - because waiting in line is so 2016. The store has more than 400 employees and can serve up to 550 people at a time, according to the Seattle-based company.
Mr. Trump began his remarks retelling the story of Hanukkah before congratulating the Jewish faithful in attendance for his decision one day earlier. "We are proud to stand with the people of Israel and renew our enduring bond".
But despite a dearth of decorations - or dreidels - Trump's Jewish grandchildren (the kids of Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner) lit a menorah.
Evangelicals still strongly believe that the land was given to the Jews by God, and that it is Israel's right to have Jerusalem as its capital.
Soloveichik, who gave the invocation at the opening session of the 2012 Republican National Convention, thanked Trump for "recognizing what we've all always known to be true", and led the Hannukah blessings and prayers. And Soloveichik recited a traditional prayer that he said has additional meaning this year.
"People let this happen", Lawrence-Israels reportedly said.
- Honor View 10 Unveiled in the UK Ahead of January 8 Launch
- Michael Flynn Promised Ex-Partner That Russia Sanctions Would Be 'Ripped Up'
- Pittsburgh's Action Weather forecast: Temperatures well above average today
- Why Robert Mueller Threw An Agent Off the Trump-Russia Probe
- Russian Federation inquiry zeroes in on bank records
- Arizona Rep. Trent Franks Resigns Over Claims He Asked Aides About Surrogacy
- 49ers pregame: Trent Brown inactive for showdown with Texans' Clowney
- Yemen's Ex-President Saleh Reported Killed In Fighting
- SD Senator John Thune; Time to Roll Back Net Neutrality
- Chiefs Jets Week 13 score, highlights