In a statement to news agencies, Haji Mehboob, a litigant, said he was a member of the UP Sunni Wakf Board, and that Sibal was "our lawyer", but that his plea in court was "wrong". Sibal said, "PM did not check the fact that actually I never represented the Sunni Waqf Board in the Supreme Court and yet he thanked them, request PM to be a little more careful before making such public comments".
BJP party president Amit Shah took to Twitter to blast Sibal and the Congress party, saying that the Waqf board detaching itself from Sibal's remarks proved that the veteran leader was speaking on behalf of the Congress party and not the petitioners.
Meanwhile, the Congress Party had, on Tuesday, furthered the war of words with the BJP and said it was raking up non-issues just to garner votes. Modi said while addressing a rally in Gujarat's Dhandhuka on Wednesday.
The Sunni Waqf Board Chairman Zafar Farooqui said, "The board is of the view that hearing in the case be held and the matter be disposed of promptly". He said, "Does the Waqf Board fight elections?"
White House wanted to publicly shame Tillerson, source says
Too much churn could fuel the perception of chaos in the Trump White House - perhaps one reason he has yet to pull the trigger. A former Kansas congressman and the current Central Intelligence Agency director could become the new secretary of state.
"Why does he have to link a Ram Mandir (temple) with elections?" Are these thoughts of delaying the hearing for elections that of the Waqf Board? "You want to keep the issue unresolved for political gain and losses in the elections?"
He further asked the Prime Minister to "check his facts" before commenting on the issue.
Addressing BJP workers during his Gujarat election campaign in Dahod, Modi said, "The Sunni Waqf Board must be congratulated for their courageous stand and for disassociating themselves from the statement of Kapil Sibal". Describing the Coram, the Supreme Court document lists Kapil Sibal as Senior Advocate in four Civil Appeals numbered 2894, 7226, 4192 and 8096. He, however, later clarified that he did not represent the board in the apex court. "The prime minister should decide if he is giving any direction to the Supreme Court?" Rizvi did not deny filing the appearance slip but argued that one should go by the order of the court which said Sibal appeared for two private persons.
The Supreme Court commenced the hearings in the Ayodhya dispute yesterday morning.
- GDP recovers, grows at 6.3% in July-September quarter
- Inside the 30000-Square-Foot Starbucks Reserve Roastery in Shanghai
- Chiefs Jets Week 13 score, highlights
- Facebook unveils chat app for kids, with parental controls
- Michael Flynn Pleads Guilty: What You Need to Know
- Michael Flynn Promised Ex-Partner That Russia Sanctions Would Be 'Ripped Up'
- Brussels Loses Right to Host Euro 2020 Soccer Matches to London
- Crimes Against Foreigners Increased in India in 2016, Shows Govt
- Undocumented immigrant acquitted of Kathryn Steinle's murder
- Pittsburgh's Action Weather forecast: Temperatures well above average today