According to Al-Akhbar's sources, France insists that PM Hariri remains in office, expressing worries about any governmental vacuum that results from the resignation, "which may lead into a political, security and economic instability".
Lebanon's President Michel Aoun on Tuesday told Arab states that dealing with Lebanon required wisdom otherwise the country would be pushed "towards the fire". Aoun, a Christian, is a political ally of Hezbollah.
"We, and he, desire to see stability in Lebanon". But he left Saudi Arabia for Paris on Saturday by invitation of French President Emmanuel Macron, before traveling on to Beirut by way of Egypt and Cyprus.
News of the joint Egypt-French effort to persuade Hariri to find a way out of the crisis was reported by Al-Akhbar, an authoritative Beirut daily that takes an anti-Saudi stand.
Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser Space Plane Aces Free-Flight Drop Test
The vehicle occupied the same hanger that Nasa used before for its Space Shuttle Enterprise in the late 1970s. This is the vehicle's first flight in four years and its first successful landing demonstration.
In Lebanon, the army chief called on troops to stand firm against any attempt to incite strife in the country amid the crisis triggered by Hariri's resignation.
Saudi Arabia, Hariri's long-time political patron, is Iran's arch-foe in the region.
France, which controlled Lebanon between the world wars, has sought to play a key role in defusing tension with Macron personally getting involved and putting him at the heart of a regional power struggle that will test his diplomatic skills.
Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri has visited the grave of his father, the late Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri.
On Saturday, U.S. President Donald Trump spoke with Macron about the situation in Lebanon and Syria. That was met by a rebuke in Tehran.
- Wanted: This pickup driver, whose sticker is 'disorderly conduct,' Texas sheriff says
- Dawn Staley, USC decline invitation to White House
- United Nations braces for likely Russian veto of Syria gas attacks probe
- Salman Khan wields a gun in his Race 3 avatar
- Forecast: Chilly Week Ahead With Some Rain
- Everything President Trump has tweeted (and what it was about)
- Country music legend Mel Tillis dies at 85
- West Brom manger Tony Pulis defends his record as pressure mounts
- @CongPalazzo Supports House Tax Reform Bill
- People have hilarious responses after a painting sold for $450 million