Young and the other members of AC/DC were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003.
Today, Angus Young shared a letter on the AC/DC website that read in part: "He always stuck to his guns and did and said exactly what he wanted". He leaves behind an enormous legacy that will live on forever.
Giants of the music world took to social media to express their shock and hail Young's lasting influence.
Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser Space Plane Aces Free-Flight Drop Test
The vehicle occupied the same hanger that Nasa used before for its Space Shuttle Enterprise in the late 1970s. This is the vehicle's first flight in four years and its first successful landing demonstration.
"Malcolm Young was my friend and the heart and soul of AC/DC. For the first time I'd seen him disorganised, being confused about a lot of things", he said. His family confirmed in a statement that Young had died and added that he had been suffering from dementia for several years. "He will be missed and my deepest condolences to his family, bandmates and friends". The legendary band announced that Young had died on their Facebook page early this morning (Nov. 18) with a heartfelt tribute and black-and-white photo of Young.
Malcolm is survived by his wife O'Linda, children Cara and Ross, three grandchildren, a sister and a brother, the band said. He last performed with the band in 2014, then stepped aside for his nephew, Stevie, to take over rhythm guitar duties for the band's last tour to promote its 2014 album, Rock Or Bust.
Paul Stanley of Kiss called it "a tragic end for a sometimes unsung icon", referring to Young as "the driving engine of AC/DC".
Young's last appearance with his band was in 2010 in Bilbao, Spain; in 2014, Angus told Rolling Stonethat there had been signs of his brother's deteriorating condition for at least six years, even before the 2008 album Black Ice was made, and Malcolm was having problems with his memory and concentration. The group's early material was co-produced by their older brother George, a founder of Australian legends the Easybeats, who died earlier this year.
- Forecast: Chilly Week Ahead With Some Rain
- Salman Khan wields a gun in his Race 3 avatar
- Dawn Staley, USC decline invitation to White House
- Indonesia, S. Korea ink deals to boost economic ties
- Study says dog owners live longer, healthier lives
- Roy Moore nearly certainly isn't going to be a senator
- 'The Partridge Family' actor David Cassidy hospitalised
- @CongPalazzo Supports House Tax Reform Bill
- West Brom manger Tony Pulis defends his record as pressure mounts
- Sessions Throws Cold Water On GOP Fever To Appoint New Special Counsel