In the wake of President Donald Trump's tweet Wednesday morning asking if he would be thanked for his intervention in the case - Trump appealed to Xi on the students' behalf - all five men personally thanked Trump, as well as the rest of the US government, for their help, as well the Chinese police and government for treating the students well. Los Angeles Lakers rookie and big bro Lonzo also did not have much involvement on the issue and, per instructions of his team and family, focused more instead on fixing his early-season struggles with the 16-time National Basketball Association champion franchise.
Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott, the leader of the western US collegiate athletic conference, said that the matter had "been resolved to the satisfaction of the Chinese authorities". They were detained in China before their annual season-opening Pacific-12 game against Georgia Tech in Hangzhou last week, KCBS reported, citing the university.
"The relevant case involving three students has already been resolved according to law", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said without elaborating when asked at a regular briefing in Beijing about Trump's discussion of the issue with Xi.
"President Xi has been terrific on that subject", Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One, bound for Honolulu. You're talking about very long prison sentences.
ESPN reported that authorities have surveillance footage of the players stealing from three stores.
Forecast: Chilly Week Ahead With Some Rain
Rain has moved out and we can expect cloudy skies and then some clearing in the afternoon with highs in the low 50s. Where the clouds do break we may see patchy fog set up overnight due to the light rain some areas received.
"We are grateful for the role that our Chinese hosts played, and for the courtesy and professionalism of the local authorities", Scott said.
The players departed from Shanghai and landed back in the United States on Tuesday night, per James T. Areddy of the Wall Street Journal. "In this particular case, both Athletics and the Office of Student Conduct will review this incident and guide any action with respect to the involved students".
The 3 UCLA players are likely to be punished by UCLA in the near future.
A contrite Riley and Hill expressed similar sentiments.
- Indonesia, S. Korea ink deals to boost economic ties
- Roy Moore nearly certainly isn't going to be a senator
- Planet hunters discover Earth-like world that could sustain life
- First official photo of the new 'Doctor Who' Jodie Whittaker
- United Kingdom minister apologizes for unauthorized meetings with Israeli officials
- Sessions Throws Cold Water On GOP Fever To Appoint New Special Counsel
- Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser Space Plane Aces Free-Flight Drop Test
- FSU suspends all fraternities, sororities after student's death
- 16 killed, 7 missing in boat capsize near Vijayawada; govt announces compensation
- Google Pixel 2 users are reporting microphone issue