Millions of Americans are being told to look at their numbers after the American Heart Association (AHA), American College of Cardiology and nine other health professional organizations gave a major overhaul to blood pressure guidelines. Normal blood pressure is less than 120/80 mm Hg; elevated is systolic between 120-129 and diastolic less than 80; Stage I is systolic between 130-139 or diastolic between 80-89; and Stage II is systolic at least 140 or diastolic at least 90 mm Hg.
He said a diagnosis of the new high blood pressure does not necessarily mean a person needs to take medication, but that "it's a yellow light that you need to be lowering your blood pressure, mainly with non-drug approaches".
This comes after the American Heart Association redefined guidelines for the first time in almost a decade.
Dr. Shearer says high blood pressure is known as the "silent killer" because there are often no symptoms.
Best Black Friday TV Deals 2017
It's beginning some online deals Thursday and plans to offer most of its Black Friday deals online starting at 12:01 a.m. Below are the some of the top Black Friday deals retailers are now advertising, according to Best Black Friday.
Healthy lifestyle changes include losing weight, exercising more, eating healthier, not smoking, avoiding alcohol and salt, and reducing stress.
"The earlier we treat the blood pressure though, the greater the protection from future heart attacks". The association recommends that those with stage 1 hypertension will only be prescribed medication if they have a heart attack or stroke.
At the new cutoff, around 46 percent, or more than 103 million, of American adults are considered to have high blood pressure, compared with an estimated 72 million under the previous guidelines in place since 2003. Dr. Fabregas says when the high pressure ruins those pipes, or blood vessels, the heart has to work harder to pump blood.
But patients in the 120 systolic blood pressure group had a higher rate of kidney injury or failure, as well as fainting.
- 16 killed, 7 missing in boat capsize near Vijayawada; govt announces compensation
- United Kingdom minister apologizes for unauthorized meetings with Israeli officials
- Koenigsegg sets new record for world's fastest production vehicle
- Apple wins patent infringement case over Samsung
- Roy Moore nearly certainly isn't going to be a senator
- Indonesia, S. Korea ink deals to boost economic ties
- Forecast: Chilly Week Ahead With Some Rain
- Google Files Go Is An AirDrop-like File Transfer App
- Ex-President Barack Obama shows up in Chicago for jury duty
- Rand Paul assaulted in home, spokeswoman says Paul 'is fine'