At least five people were killed and 11 others missing after a tourist boat carrying 38 passengers capsized in the Krishna near Ibrahimpatnam, Andhra Pradesh, on Sunday. "It capsized near a curve as it approached the Pavitra Sangamam point and most of the people were trapped underneath and were killed", an assistant commissioner of police said. According to IANS, there were 38 tourists on the boat belonging to a private operator. Another three passengers were rescued by the teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) late in the night.
"So far, 16 bodies have been recovered from river".
The rescue operations were underway and senior officials rushed to the spot. Preliminary investigation says boat turned upside down due to overload.
Best Black Friday TV Deals 2017
It's beginning some online deals Thursday and plans to offer most of its Black Friday deals online starting at 12:01 a.m. Below are the some of the top Black Friday deals retailers are now advertising, according to Best Black Friday.
Police said the ferry riders were not wearing life jackets, The Press Trust of India news agency reported. 35 people boarded the boat which has the capacity of only 15 people.
The boat was proceeding from Bhavani Islands to Pavithra Sanghamam on Sunday evening. Officials said 41 passengers, including 31 members of Ongole Wakers Club, were on the boat when it overturned.
When contacted, a Simple Water Sports representative claimed that they hadn't overcrowded the boat and there were only 20 passengers on the boat. Bad light is believed to have hampered rescue operations.
- HBO star alleges Harvey Weinstein raped her
- First official photo of the new 'Doctor Who' Jodie Whittaker
- Apple AR Headset With Custom OS To Come By 2020
- Saudis gamble on Hariri resignation to check Iranian grip on Lebanon
- #WhatsAppDown: Turmoil hits thousands of users as chat connections fail
- Alipay logs record sales on China's Singles' Day
- FSU suspends all fraternities, sororities after student's death
- Trump sarcastically responds to Kim Jong Un insults
- North Korea Warns 'Spiritually Instable' Trump Against Reckless Remarks
- Dwyane Wade speaks his mind about Cavs' struggles; Lue having sleepless nights