Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans informed reporters shortly before noon that Obama had been assigned to a panel but was not called.
When he arrived in the jury room, Obama greeted the other citizens waiting to be selected for a trial - shaking hands and signing books.
In fact, Obama was also summoned in 2010 but that was during his most powerful leader in the world period, and he was able to postpone reporting, according to his spokeswoman, Katie Hill.
Nor is he the first famous Chicagoan to be called to jury duty.
#WhatsAppDown: Turmoil hits thousands of users as chat connections fail
The service began functioning again some regions around 30 minutes after the first complaints began popping up, Reuters had noted. Whatsapp down, millions of people around the world facing problem while sending, receiving and deleting messages .
"Did you know I was coming?" Palmer joked. Would-be jurors were excited by the prospect of serving alongside the former president.
Obama watched the entire 20-minute educational video during his time at the Daley Center, Evans said.
Obama left his home in Chicago's Kenwood neighborhood around 9:30 a.m. The official, who is not authorized to speak about the former president's jury duty, spoke on condition of anonymity.
Other presidents like George W. Bush and Bill Clinton were called for the duty in 2015 and 2003 but were not picked. Obama was eventually dismissed from jury duty. In 2004, Oprah Winfrey was on a Chicago jury that convicted a man of murder.
Obama is also in line to receive the $17.20 a day that jurors are paid for performing their civic duty.
- North Korea Warns 'Spiritually Instable' Trump Against Reckless Remarks
- Sympathetic Gay Talese Wants to Profile Kevin Spacey
- Mueller Intensifying Pressure in Flynn Investigation, Has Enough Evidence to Charge
- NASA releases eerie playlist of spellbinding space sounds
- Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson tore ACL in practice
- Seething Trump blames son-in-law Jared Kushner for Mueller's widening probe, report says
- Trump Says New York Suspect's Visa Was a 'Chuck Schumer Beauty'
- John Podesta Plays Victim Card in Response to Russia Investigation News
- Three killed as gunman attacks Walmart store in US
- James Comey's 'coordination' testimony sheds new context on Clinton campaign's dossier funding