Trump has on three occasions tried to pass restrictions blocking or limiting immigration to the United States from certain countries: The latest iteration imposes restrictions on citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, and on government officials from Venezuela.
However, following an attack in Las Vegas in October, in which 58 people were shot dead by Stephen Paddock, an American not associated with Islam, Trump took more than five hours to respond, and did so in a more subdued tone.
President Trump has called for tougher immigration controls after the deadly NY truck attack, describing the suspect as an "animal" and calling on Congress to shut down the immigration lottery scheme.
The suspect, who was shot by a NY police officer and detained after leaving the vehicle, has been identified as 29-year-old Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, who moved to the United States from Uzbekistan in 2010.
Also, "he didn't answer when reporters pressed him about whether the shooting was an act of 'domestic terrorism.' Trump previously addressed the nation in a somber speech on Monday morning, labeling the shooting 'pure evil'".
"As the investigation unfolds, it's critical that we learn what we can from this incident and do everything we can to prevent this from happening again".
Twitter didn't tell Senate Intel about RT pitch to buy election ads
This breaking news story is being updated as more information emerges - please refresh the page for the most recent version. RT will still be able to run its Twitter account and tweet organically as long as they abide by the terms and conditions.
One of Trump's top domestic priorities has been a crackdown on undocumented immigrants and a strengthening of screening procedures for foreigners seeking to enter the U.S.
"In NYC, looks like another attack by a very sick and deranged person", Trump tweeted.
He added: "We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere".
A senior law enforcement officer advised CNN that a note was found in the truck was stated that the attack had been carried out in the name of ISIS. "We must get MUCH tougher (and smarter)". "At the end, who knows what happens", Trump said.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of Tuesday's terrorist attack in New York City and their families", Trump had said in a statement after the attack.
"For Trump to say this can't be tolerated is correct, but the travel ban won't stop this".
- Kid Rock not running for US Senate
- Houston Texans Players Almost Walked Out of Practice Over Owner's 'Inmates' Remark
- Victims rescued from Somali hotel attack
- John Podesta Plays Victim Card in Response to Russia Investigation News
- Burnouts Do It Best? New Study Says Pot Smokers Have More Sex
- Grambling State University to hold class after two shot and killed overnight
- Trump Says New York Suspect's Visa Was a 'Chuck Schumer Beauty'
- NASA releases eerie playlist of spellbinding space sounds
- India vs New Zealand: Shreyas Iyer, Mohammed Siraj receive maiden T20I call-ups
- Thunder's charter plane damaged flying to Chicago, lands safely