The new Amazon Key system allows delivery personnel to drop off packages inside Prime members' homes, providing "secure home access" when the homeowner is not available.
The app-based smart lock will also work with pet sitters, cleaning services and more. If you think that sounds like a bad idea, you're not the only one.
Amazon says the system will be made available on November 8 in 37 cities, including Atlanta, Cleveland and Denver.
The company's new service is called Amazon Key, and it's essentially a high-tech alternative to leaving a key under your mat.
3 white supremacists charged with attempted murder after Richard Spencer speech
Three men from Texas were arrested, accused of firing a gun into a group of people after Thursday's Richard Spencer event. And in an interview with The Washington Post on Thursday, Tenbrink said he came to Gainesville to support Spencer.
Amazon delivery employees aren't given a passcode to enter the home; rather they request access into the home, and Amazon's records verify that the employee is at the right address at the right time. "No passcodes, no fuss", according to the news release.
"Amazon Key in-home deliveries are carried out by some of the same professional drivers who you trust to deliver your Amazon orders today", the company says. The Internet retailer didn't immediately respond to a Free Press request asking which MI locations will be among the first to get Amazon Key, but several zip codes across metro Detroit are shown to be eligible. Using a new Amazon device, the Cloud Cam, the entire delivery will be live-streamed to the customer's devices and also sent as a video snippet.
Their system is a bit simpler: the delivery person is given a one-time code, which opens the door and alerts customers on their smartphones after the carrier enters. Amazon is also selling a $119 version of the Cloud Cam that's not Key-enabled (and doesn't include the smart lock), for those looking for another smart home security camera option. This allows the delivery person to swipe a button on the app that unlocks the door.
- Grambling State University to hold class after two shot and killed overnight
- Kiwis opt to bat after India ODI pitch controversy
- India vs New Zealand: Shreyas Iyer, Mohammed Siraj receive maiden T20I call-ups
- India plays New Zealand despite curator's violation of ICC regulations
- Huddersfield vs Manchester United: Potential XI with Juan Mata in midfield
- Mersal row: BJP must respect free speech, says Congress
- Tillerson Affirms Afghanistan Commitments In Unannounced Visit
- Latest Harvey Weinstein Accuser Claims He Forced Oral Sex During Her Period
- Blac Chyna Is Suing The Entire Kardashian Family For Everything They're Worth
- Missing Pakistani journalist probing Indian citizen's case found after 2 years